post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. callgood

callgood Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    Very Nice
  2. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Most of the Amish Quaker or Dutch coops I looked at have the roosting bars narrow side up instead of flat side up and experienced chickeneers on this thread say the flat side of 2x4 is what should be facing up for the chickens to roost on. Another problem I had researching the Amish coops is that all the windows open from inside the coop. I only found one Amish style on the website where the windows tilted open from the outside - the downside of their models is that their coop legs aren't reinforced the way normal Amish construction is.

I just can't see us as senior citizens going inside an Amish coop daily every morning to open windows and going inside every evening to reclose them again - it would be much easier just taking care of that from outside the coop. We are thinking of negotiating a custom Amish coop with windows opening from outside and flat-side-up perches when we order ours. We also need a taller Amish than the standard 5-foot height so we aren't hunched over when inside the coop (as a senior I'm hunched over enough already LOL) - found only one company that makes a model with higher walls but it's heck trying to get one of these Amish companies to return our calls.
  3. KennyRae

KennyRae Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    I posted pics of my coop awhile back but I forgot to post pics of the inside. It's actually an old kids playhouse that we converted into a coop!
    2 people like this.
  4. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    love it
  5. heartsizedfarm

heartsizedfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Is that box on the left of the pic a nesting box or a dust bath? I was just thinking how neat a dust bath area it would be because the high sides would keep the ash from flying all over.
  6. KennyRae

KennyRae Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    It's actually an old step that led to a slide, which we turned into a nest box. We also have an old bread box that we turned into a nest box in the corner of the front window. It would have made a good dust bath area, but the girls decided they liked it as a nest box! We have a barrel outside that they use for dust bathing.:)
  7. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    UPDATE: Well, we finally got all the posts set and concreted in...WHEW! Temps that day were just awful, got a sunburn, but I got my posts in!! YAY! [​IMG] Next will be putting all the 2 x 4's on top and bottom and then it's hardware cloth time...WOOT!
    3 people like this.
  8. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    It sounds like Chipping Cleghorn where Jane Marple lived. I'm a fan. [​IMG]
  9. sammirae09

sammirae09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2014
    Clarksville, TN
    Can't wait to get a new bigger property. Want to move back to the country then get a big coop with many many chickens :)
    1 person likes this.
  10. Wildivy2112

Wildivy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Yippee ! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by