post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    I don't think the roosts have to be a lot higher than the nest boxes. My understanding is they will roost on the highest thing they can get to out a feeling of safety. Certainly true with mine. None roost on the 2' high pole, they all go to the 4' high ones using the 2' for a positioning launch into the fray. You would think that after living together for the last 2 years, starting from 1 day old, they would have it all figured out and just line up in order of where they will sleep, but Noooooo.

You might need to put them on the roost a time or 3. That seems to be one of the few things that they do not do instinctually.

That breed is new to me, I really like the one that is mostly cream (maybe because she looks like my Blue red Cubalaya? ). Pretty birds, kind of like Easter Eggers with their multitude of color patterns. Not sure I need more small, MAYBE barely medium eggs though. I have 5 that lay 52g or less (mostly less) and 5 that lay 56g to a whopping 114g last week. The Anconas are pretty consistent at 56 to 60, the Easter Egger runs high 60s to 70, then Black Australorps are all over the place. 60 one day, 72 the next, the occasional 90+.

A very reasonable plan! The roost needs to fit the bird.

When can I move in???

Bruce

2. araminta37

araminta37 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is a place we have rented for 3 yrs now, this old hen house was buried in overgrown saplings and weeds, after years of hard work it is cleared and refenced, for our new flock of chickens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 1FunkyChicken

1FunkyChicken Just Hatched

Sep 22, 2013
    LOL... I hear rent is free if you can keep it white! ; )

1 person likes this.
  4. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

@bruceha2000 I have to say that they are my favorite breed out of what we have (Three Araucana-Marans mutts, a pure BCM and two Speckled Sussex). They are a bit more flighty and gamelike, more primal than the others. Really quick, and seem to be able to escape predators (had an episode with them escaping our yard earlier today and the neighbors dogs showing an interest with them, no harm done though). Also, they're beautiful to watch.

I'm expecting the egg size go up to about 50g or so. I don't know how easy they would be to find outside Finland, even here I think the population is estimated at about 3000 birds I think. Although, that is a few years old info, and backyard chickening has grown more popular, and that is one of the more popular breeds.

5. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Thanks for the added input vehve and agreed that AstroTurf and probably other products on the market would be a good solution for most hens. However we have an OCD Silkie that's been to the vet 4 times this past year - twice because she scratches in the wooden nestbox so long and hard that she splinters and tears off a toenail or two - 2 nails pulled out at the root and never grew back. So we can't have anything in the nestbox bottom to catch on her toes when she scratches. She'll do it till she bleeds. We had to line all the wooden nestboxes with plexiglass to keep the surface smooth on the bottoms - we had plastic but it got scratched up pretty badly and could still catch on the toenails so plexiglass was our final solution.

We fill with extra straw for cushion and by end of day most of the boxes are low to near empty of straw. We have a couple OCD hens that like to scratch out the straw. Thank goodness our square nestboxes have round-hole entrances to keep some of the straw inside at least until after the OCD hens have layed. If our nestboxes were level with our coop floor without a retaining strip of wood the eggs would be kicked/rolled out of the boxes onto the coop floor everywhere. Regarding eggs that don't roll - if they didn't roll easily then there wouldn't be some fancy nestboxes designed to let the eggs roll out of the nestboxes after the hens lay their eggs - battery cages are angled for rolling eggs too.

For most chickeneers standard suggestions work in the coops but some of us have special circumstances that standards don't apply sometimes and it's nice to share such odd circumstances should others encounter something out of the ordinary too.

1 person likes this.
  6. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

How about some sort of heavy rubber mats? They would provide cushioning without anything to catch on. Something similar to cattle mats.

7. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Yea!!! Finished and ready to go... Good job [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I've found our Silkies like the 2x2 perch that came with our pre-built feed store custom coop but only use it during the day and not for roosting. We also notice them liking to stand on the 2x2 coop door threshold during the day. We had one Leghorn that used to perch on our square-ish wheelbarrow handles. Many perch on the border bricks around the yard that are 4" wide. Chickens are quite adaptable and it's nice to offer variety so have a 2x2 plus a 2x4 flat-side-up if the coop has the room for two and let them choose where to perch. Gotta clean a coop no matter what so what's a bit more poop on a 2x4 flat-side-up to clean? Silkies are an odd breed and many owners say their Silkies like to pile up on the floor rather than use a roosting pole. Ours have chosen the secluded nestboxes to roost in. In fact all our hens use the boxes becasue the perch that came pre-built in our little coop is the same level as the nestbox ledge instead of being attached higher than the boxes which is the recommended position.

9. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    We thought about hard rubber but that OCD Silkie of ours managed to scratch through the surface of hard plastic! Since the plexiglass is working I don't want to chance a different material on the possibility of having her damage any more valuable toenails or to take her back to the vet again. We had to settle on a surface so strong and smooth that there was no way she could scratch it up over time to eventually snag her toenails in it. But thanks truly for the ideas.

Some people have nestboxes with slotted or meshed bottoms and if we had that type of nestbox my Silkie would have raw and bleeding toes constantly.

10. Whoa nellie. These chickens are going to live better than some folks I know. Wowza.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by