post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I was ok reading that you had 2 BOs and 2 BRs as they are LF similar in size and temperament - but was not okay reading that you possibly will be throwing in 3 gentle-smaller Polish/Silkie crosses into the mix. Polish and Silkies are way smaller and timid than BOs or BRs and will get mercilessly picked on when all the birds reach full maturity. And if you have only one cockerel in the pen with the rest being ladies he will be chased and pecked to death. Hens gang up on lone roos in a pen. If you're going to breed him then only let him have one lady at a time in a breeding pen away from the others.

Nothing wrong with pre-fab coops. We keep ours covered with a tarp to protect from sun and rain damage and keeps the pen floor dirt dryer in inclement weather. As your ladies start getting really big (6-7 lbs apiece) you may find them wanting to get out and free-range the yard. After a month of keeping our first 2 Silkies and 1 Leghorn we started letting them out for supervised free ranging. After another month we realized they were quite hardy even hiding from the Cooper's Hawk. So we planted a couple rose bushes, set up a few low lean-to shelters, a recycled doghouse, and a popup canopy (legs buried a foot deep in soil to keep from parasailing away) in the backyard for hiding places for them. They've been free-ranging for 3 years now and only use the coop to lay eggs and roost at night. They're real good at sounding the barnyard alarm when the Cooper's Hawk visits. He won't go after hiding hens. Hawks prefer to swoop down in open grassy areas and the hens know this and hide.

2. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    My new car a few years ago never got dings sitting in the driveway. It got dings from the stupid campus students parking crookedly and throwing open their jalopy car doors and banging into my car!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  3. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    What Amish company and what coop (Quaker, Dutch, Gable, or Lean-to?) model did you get?

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    We live in a tiny cottage (less than 1000 sq ft) but your yard is still WAY bigger than ours! Hurray for home-schooling!

5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    x 2 [​IMG]

6. philnj

philnj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Townsend, DE
    We don't plan on keeping any roosters and honestly will probably not keep the silkie crosses especially if they start getting picked on.

7. VladikC

VladikC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    My first time building something from scratch.
    [​IMG]

8. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Love so much how you have used the natural wood! But be so careful about using the "chicken wire" ! Don't know what kind of predators you have but I'm going to attach a picture of what happened at my son's run and wire. Lost either 6-8 pullets..some silkies and a couple of reds.[​IMG] Made a believer out of me! [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Pecanny

Pecanny Out Of The Brooder

Raccoons. They eat chicken wire for their pre-chicken dinner snack. Extremely sharp teeth and claws.

10. We have the same kit coop! We love it, and I think you did a very nice job on the run. We were going to do something similar, but now we're just fencing all around the entire coop, making a walk in run. Here is the progress so far. We also added a backroom to the kit coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by