post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Pecanny

Pecanny Out Of The Brooder

And if it is coons, you'll know it shortly, because they will be back, That new fence will not keep them out. Not only can the coon walk right through it, he can dig under if need be. You have to fence the ground out two feet also. Here is what I had to do> Doubled hog fence (as he has in the pic) crossing each link in the middle then wired together... Then barn tin for ground cover....

[​IMG]

Also, note the intended ground level ventilation factor built in.. Just cover with a drop tarp in the cold of winter.

[​IMG]

I thought penning chickens would be a cake walk and I found out quickly that toothy predators lurk in the night, and if you want to keep the same chickens for a long time you'd better have a helluva solid coop.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  2. meralgia

meralgia Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Thanks for the imagery... I have hardware cloth for the bottom half; I planned on digging it a foot down but maybe now I'll get the 4' tall stuff so I can go deeper.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  3. peachysam

peachysam Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Chelle1108

Chelle1108 New Egg

Jun 23, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is our 8x8 chicken coop we just built. It has a two foot porch on the front for decor. I will post more pics of inside coop this weekend. We made it out of pallet wood mostly and old rustic tin we had. I think it is my favorite place to hang out! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Aquamarine

Aquamarine Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    Northeast, Indiana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still need to add nesting boxes on the front top. And we should have made it taller, but it works for now, all built from recycled wood. (These were taken before we got the heavy duty hardware put on. Raccoon proof stuff.)

6. jcnick34

jcnick34 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2014
    [​IMG] Garden coop plans but added a section to make the run bigger. Put the access/cleaning door bigger and on the outside of the pen. Put a ramp and porch on the side instead of through the bottom.

[​IMG] Porch and ramp on the left. Solid panel on the bottom right should help block some wind and snow/rain in winter.

[​IMG] Added a chicken yard access door to the solid panel on the end of the run.

[​IMG]

7. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    We can't keep roos either and had to re-home a sweet Silkie roo. I am so bummed. Do you have an outlet for re-homing unwanted chickens?

8. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Years ago my 15-year-old teen neighbor built me a 3x3 coop for a NHR he gifted to us. Loved the hen AND the coop gift! Yours is better in that it has 3 enclosed sides instead of being open all around.

9. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    x 2 [​IMG]

Spent 2 weeks house-sitting my daughter's house and dog. One night while we were in the house a raccoon managed to tip over a very full heavy trash can about 3 feet square and about 4-1/2 feet tall. I barely could move it even on wheels and that bugger raccoon was able to push it over and scatter trash all over the backyard like it was only a wastebasket!!! Now I realize why her dog was whining at the back door and growling - she knew something was in the back and I didn't pick up on the signals. Raccoons are crafty, strong, determined, clever at finding the weak points to closed items and then tear away with fine manipulative clawed paws. They are even patient enough to open locks so the more complicated a lock and more fortified a fence, the better for chickens. You see raccoons often kill just for the frenzy of the chase and not necessarily use the chickens as food but just kill for the sheer joy of it. Keeping chickens inside a barrier is easy but keeping predators outside requires very strong secure fencing.

10. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Beautiful coop but with all that wooded area around with hidden predators you'll need something sturdier like hardwire over that flimsy chicken wire. Stray dogs easily tore and mangled ours with their teeth and paws. The coop is built MAGNIFICENTLY and very attractive but needs the sturdier hardwire and either buried in the ground or lined with paver stones around the base of the pen to keep out digger critters. They'll sniff out chicken dinner in no time. See post #3951 above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by