post your chicken coop pictures here!

This is our 8x8 chicken coop we just built. It has a two foot porch on the front for decor. I will post more pics of inside coop this weekend. We made it out of pallet wood mostly and old rustic tin we had. I think it is my favorite place to hang out! :)

Still need to add nesting boxes on the front top. And we should have made it taller, but it works for now, all built from recycled wood. (These were taken before we got the heavy duty hardware put on. Raccoon proof stuff.)

Garden coop plans but added a section to make the run bigger. Put the access/cleaning door bigger and on the outside of the pen. Put a ramp and porch on the side instead of through the bottom.

Porch and ramp on the left. Solid panel on the bottom right should help block some wind and snow/rain in winter.

Added a chicken yard access door to the solid panel on the end of the run.

We don't plan on keeping any roosters and honestly will probably not keep the silkie crosses especially if they start getting picked on.

We can't keep roos either and had to re-home a sweet Silkie roo. I am so bummed. Do you have an outlet for re-homing unwanted chickens?

And if it is coons, you'll know it shortly, because they will be back, That new fence will not keep them out. Not only can the coon walk right through it, he can dig under if need be. You have to fence the ground out two feet also. Here is what I had to do> Doubled hog fence (as he has in the pic) crossing each link in the middle then wired together... Then barn tin for ground cover....

Also, note the intended ground level ventilation factor built in.. Just cover with a drop tarp in the cold of winter.

I thought penning chickens would be a cake walk and I found out quickly that toothy predators lurk in the night, and if you want to keep the same chickens for a long time you'd better have a helluva solid coop.
goodpost.gif

Spent 2 weeks house-sitting my daughter's house and dog. One night while we were in the house a raccoon managed to tip over a very full heavy trash can about 3 feet square and about 4-1/2 feet tall. I barely could move it even on wheels and that bugger raccoon was able to push it over and scatter trash all over the backyard like it was only a wastebasket!!! Now I realize why her dog was whining at the back door and growling - she knew something was in the back and I didn't pick up on the signals. Raccoons are crafty, strong, determined, clever at finding the weak points to closed items and then tear away with fine manipulative clawed paws. They are even patient enough to open locks so the more complicated a lock and more fortified a fence, the better for chickens. You see raccoons often kill just for the frenzy of the chase and not necessarily use the chickens as food but just kill for the sheer joy of it. Keeping chickens inside a barrier is easy but keeping predators outside requires very strong secure fencing.

Beautiful coop but with all that wooded area around with hidden predators you'll need something sturdier like hardwire over that flimsy chicken wire. Stray dogs easily tore and mangled ours with their teeth and paws. The coop is built MAGNIFICENTLY and very attractive but needs the sturdier hardwire and either buried in the ground or lined with paver stones around the base of the pen to keep out digger critters. They'll sniff out chicken dinner in no time. See post #3951 above.

This is our 8x8 chicken coop we just built. It has a two foot porch on the front for decor. I will post more pics of inside coop this weekend. We made it out of pallet wood mostly and old rustic tin we had. I think it is my favorite place to hang out!
smile.png
Absolutely stunning build but such a shame to use flimsy poultry wire over such a magnificent construction. See posts #3951 and #3959 above.

Still need to add nesting boxes on the front top. And we should have made it taller, but it works for now, all built from recycled wood. (These were taken before we got the heavy duty hardware put on. Raccoon proof stuff.)
If you want the coop taller put it on top of a running row of cinderblocks or bricks or paver stones. Sometimes just adding a couple-three inches can make a comfortable difference plus provide a digger critter proof base. We added 4" to our little 4x6 coop and it made better headroom for cleanouts, etc.

Back
Top Bottom