post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Denwendairy

Denwendairy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada

Beautiful! Love that you turned recycled pallets into something so beautiful.

2. DoubleMM

DoubleMM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2014

Well done... Nice and tight.

Brooder's at a nice height and on wheels

3. BlueChick62

BlueChick62 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2014
    Chiefland, FL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

simple, but I am pleased with it! I have a nice view from the kitchen sink!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  4. Great view! I can see ours from the kitchen table. It wasn't planned, but I love that.

5. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Not POSSIBLY but I'd say DEFINITELY surround completely with about a 2 to 3 wide paver sidewalk all around because you look like you are in quite a rural wildlife setting. You won't be sorry you did either the hardwire or the pavers. Cute chickies!

1 person likes this.
  6. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.

Quote:
    The particular post I was looking at had a tree in or around the pen and using netting on top of a pen so near a tree - well, I know 'Coons and Squirrels love those d***n trees. Since the 5 neighbors around me all cut down their huge or dying trees we haven't had squirrels OR raccoons scampering across our rooftops. Leaving the backyard light on during the night (not those annoying sensor types) but a regular steady patio light seems to work at deterring the night life too.

7. Wildivy2112

Wildivy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Nice. Love the flower box.

8. scubaharry

scubaharry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Due to high heat in NW Florida, installed a tarp over run to give girls more shade. Plan on installing a metal roof next week.

1 person likes this.
  9. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Unless she says "DAD! You can't kill the chicken [​IMG]"

Nice looking set of birds you got there! Might have to put them on the roost a night or 2 so they get the idea.

That is what matters most! Looks like the window matches the ones in my barn. Is that a nice OLD window with a nice OLD cast bronze twist latch with a heavy duty wire spring?? I have some of those latches in my house. Someone put in others that looked similar but are junk. Stamped thin metal and the "spring" is a hard piece of plastic folded into a V shape. I don't know how old they are but all the "springs" are broken. Plastic is NOT meant to be flexed over and over and over again.

One glaring error from the get go. You are supposed to get the day old chicks FIRST then go NUTS trying to get the coop ready before they need it in 8, um, 6, um ..... 4 weeks old and they won't stay in their bathtub brooder! Go back and start over. [​IMG]

I read through your coop build write up. You might want to review this line:
    On 6/17/2014, we made a lot of profess:

Really nice job and YOU did the heavy part before DH got on the job!

Question: is that a Z-turn mower you used to pull the dump cart full of sand? I thought they were not meant to pull weight, something about doing in the transmission. I spent some time considering replacing my 1995 garden tractor (used for mowing grass and blowing snow) with a Z-turn for mowing but I gather they aren't real good on hills, uneven surfaces and losing a front wheel down a side slope is apparently a really bad thing so I went with another garden tractor. Still have to figure out what to do about blowing snow. The old machine couldn't back up even a small incline with the blower on. I think it is just too heavy, even with chains, 50# wheel weights and more weight in a box off the back of the tractor. I'm pretty sure all that weight plus me is more than the weight of the old tractor and the rear wheels would just spin if either didn't have a hard/packed surface to sit on. And it doesn't make sense to put a smaller blower on, then you pack down the snow with the wheels and the blower won't pick it up well.

So they can move it at night from the kitchen and living room to next to the bed [​IMG]

Yeah, I was actually thinking that as well. I don't know if a coon would climb the fence but if there are overhanging branches, they might hop over and bird netting wouldn't necessarily do the job. Unless maybe if it isn't real tight and the coon is swaddled in netting. [​IMG]

Wife's boss came in today and told her they had a coon in their coop about 2:30 this morning. Lots of ruckus and the coon was trying to figure a way out (I presume because it heard her husband coming). Apparently there is a small gap between the wall and ceiling of the coop. I guess coons can squeeze pretty small when chicken is on the menu! Only 1 chicken bloodied, still alive this morning. So, as we keep saying, it can NOT be made too safe!

Bruce

10. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Reducing tire pressure might help too. If you don't get enormous amounts of snow at a time, an ATV could work for you, some can be equipped with caterpillar tracks for better traction even. Or then you do it the old fashioned way, with a shovel [​IMG]

*Edit* Thought of an outside the box sort of idea. Are flamethrowers considered home protection/hunting weapons in the States? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by