post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    This is one of the nicest yet rustic looking coops I've seen out of pallets. We haven't had luck finding decent used pallets in our area and gave up looking for them - they're usually damaged beyond salvaging before anyone gives them up - not even worth kindling fire.

1 person likes this.
  2. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    GORGEOUS build. The only thing I would change is having the coop at my back door. Not too fond of donning rain gear to treck across the yard to collect eggs during our gully-washer rainstorms. Ours is about 8 feet from the back sliding door - nothing like being lazy in our old age!

3. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Nice coop. I have horrible eyesight - is the underside of the coop enclosed with wire? I enlarged the photo and can't even see the wire on the pen either. We've used tarps and popup canopies for shade for the last 3 years. Just need to replace the tarp once a year. Burlap or canvas cloths work for shade too.

4. lydzchix

lydzchix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2014
    Stockbridge, GA
    We're getting 6. An Australorp, golden laced Wyandotte, silver laced Polish, Easter Egger, buff Orpington and a Wellsummer.

Can't wait!

1 person likes this.
  5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Poor Polish and EE being put among a group of aggressive-type breeds. Crested/bearded types are gentler breeds and Wyandottes have a reputation for dominating and Orps are pushy as chicks to adults. As pullets they will all seem to get along but at about 18 mos to 2 years the bigger mature hens will bully the smaller and/or gentler breeds. Our Ameraucana ran from our Buff Leghorn (they were the same age) - the Buff went on a rampage to assert herself by pulling out the crests and beards of the other gentler breeds so we had to re-home her. EEs and Ameraucanas are kooky spooky jittery klutzy girls but the sweetest gentlest souls. They are usually non-combative and will flee rather than fight. If they weren't so noisy for the neighbors and very talkative I'd have a flock of just EEs or APA Ameraucanas because they lay colorful XL eggs and generally non-combative adults. They are also considered non-broody types so egg production is high and sometimes right through winter.

6. scubaharry

scubaharry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2014
    Thank you. Yes hardware buried to 12 inches. Glad I installed tarp, 100 deg F heat index today. Planning on installing metal roof next week.

7. lydzchix

lydzchix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2014
    Stockbridge, GA

I've heard from several people relating to dispositions of the birds that I picked. Hopefully, mine will be an exception! Lol! I definitely didn't want RIR's. Almost everyone says they are aggressive. It will be interesting.

8. gilcamp4

gilcamp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    delaware
    my rir's are ok its the black sex-links that are mean, i was told they are a good pet but they do not let me near them one of them riped my arm yesterday, i have an rir that lets me pet her

9. bobbax1

bobbax1 New Egg

Jun 8, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I built a small chicken coop for my 2 chickens. As we live in an urban area, no need to close off the run. Blue and white matches the colour of the windows of our house!

1 person likes this.
  10. newchickmomma4

newchickmomma4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    California
    My black sex links are my favorites. They follow me around and call for me to come out and sit with them. My RIR was by far my sweetest. She would come an sit with me, and when she was foraging, if I would sit on the grass she would run across the yard to snack near me. My wyandottes are a completely different story. They are very much hands off, they won't eat from my hands at all, they don't like being picked up, ignore me, even when I have treats

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by