post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Latestarter

Latestarter Chicken Obsessed

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    [​IMG]

Thanks. The steps you see are the standard ~9" rise The base of the wall is ~ 18" off the ground. The base of the nest boxes is right about 4 feet, or about the middle of my chest. The roof is fixed and the front wall drops outward. Once they start laying (which is like somewhere in the distant future from my present perspective [​IMG]) I anticipate collecting from outside. That won't be the case in inclement weather... in which case I will go inside to collect

1 person likes this.
  2. pmpkinchick

pmpkinchick Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Burlington CT
    :yuckyuck
    It all depends on your definition of sane!! I think its perfectly sane to pay$500 for an egg, don't you???? (And that was with some free chicks and a lot of repurposed materials.) When I finally get that egg I hope its gold!!:jumpy

3. pmpkinchick

pmpkinchick Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Burlington CT
    We learned the hard way. We ran out of the 1/2 in hardware cloth and used a piece of 1 1/2 in wire. The area was only about 12"x12" so we thought it would be ok for 1 night until we could get to the store the next day. We were sooooo wrong! Something grabbed 1 chick through the wire and tore it apart. Now all areas have hardware cloth sandwiched between pieces of wood. My DH felt so bad I came home from work 2 days later to find 5 new bantam brahmas in the brooder. He's the best DH ever!! :hugs

2 people like this.
  4. gilcamp4

gilcamp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    delaware
    well i got bored tonight, painting on new coop is just about finished so i got th paint and painted the camper coop, told dh i was going to paint the white to match the new coop, told him we can not have some chickens with new house and then have the poor live right next door, so if its not raining tomorrow i will go out and finish the painting
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    new coop before paint job after paint job
    going to paint the white part to match new coop all in the rain

5. Looks good!

6. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    I had the tires down to about 12 PSI. One rear actually had a bad leak last winter and even that didn't help as it got flatter while I worked.

The area I clear for cars is ~140' long, at least 1 car wide. Well, I guess I could 'just' do enough for the two cars to get in without being able to go around the circle. That would be ~30 feet 2 cars wide to make sure they didn't get blasted by the stuff the plow is shoving. Then there is shoveling the heavy banks the plow leaves.

And the 100+ feet down to the barn and if the oil or propane delivery guys are going to show up (generally unannounced) another 70' for each. That is a lot of shoveling! I had to use snowshoes to get to the barn a few days last winter, too much snow to dig out in one go. The wind blows between the 2 barns and deposits snow 4' deep. Unfortunately that is the part I couldn't possibly get back from if I went down more than about 10 '. The old rig did OK on the parking area, after a lot of battery jumping and false starts, usually took about 20 minutes to start it when it was near 10F or colder. And I had to leave it up in the parking area because it didn't really want to climb the grade (not really all that steep) from the barn even in forward.

This is the barn:
    [​IMG]
    The garden tractor lives behind the first green diamond on the left. The door to the alley with coop is at the bottom past the blue barrel.

I suppose I COULD use a flamethrower but wouldn't I end up with a LOT of ice?? But then you were asking about using one for protection and hunting. I don't know, how would you get close enough to a deer to hit it with a flame thrower? [​IMG]

Eggs will keep for weeks without refrigeration. I think it is safe to wait until the gully washer is over [​IMG]

You are very industrious!

Bruce

1 person likes this.
  7. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    Clearly what you need is a car sized tractor with an enclosed cab and a front end loader on the front of it. I know I had warm thoughts about having one of those this winter. There was some issues at our farm and we lost our Ford 2120 that had the front end loader on it and we ended up getting another tractor that just wasn't as nice as what the 2120 is. Nor did it have the front end loader on it which really was a downer when we realized that we needed to beat back the drifts on our driveway because we couldn't push the snow any further against the frozen piles with just the tractor blade.

8. mckees

mckees New Egg

Jun 4, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    [​IMG]
    Here's our Hen Pen!

9. chikmagnet69

chikmagnet69 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    Va.
    very nice...my wife would love the window planter!

10. chikmagnet69

chikmagnet69 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    Va.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by