post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Nope, not so! The Silkie thread takes the cake with about 5,000 pages of reading but I learned a lot from it.

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

That just means I haven't been rambling enough in this thread yet.

2 people like this.
  3. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Outstanding coop build guys!
    Your decorations remind me of my country kitchen - 8,5 x 23 feet of walls, counters, table, and furniture covered in chicken themed objects and fabrics. With the leftover chicken design fabrics we made chicken diapers for any invalid hens we have to keep indoors for awhile.
    You are going to absolutely enjoy that setup you have!

4. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    [​IMG]That's just a down right great job!! I love both designs and finished coop/brooder! Smart job ... both of you! !![​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Hi - beautiful build and sections! I'm assuming you'll collect eggs from inside? Egg boxes look too high if it were me trying to get eggs from outside the box but then you're probably in snow country and will go inside the coop most of the time. We have so little yard space your two coops wouldn't leave us any room for foraging grass in our small space. Lucky you to have all that room!!

6. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    If you free-range the hens during the day they don't need much room in a coop - they only use it to lay their eggs and roost at night. You also have your feed and water inside so it's a sweet setup. Only suggestion is to eventually consider putting hardwire over that flimsy poultry wire. I could've lost my flock to flimsy poultry wire when stray dogs attacked - good neighbor chased them off but not before they mangled the poultry wire with their teeth and claws.

7. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    My DH completely took over the chicken care. At first it was just to give treats, and now he collects eggs, cleans out the nestboxes, shovels the coop floor, sets out their feed and clean water, lets them out in the morning and closes them up at night - even on the days he goes to his job. I hardly ever see our ladies any more! Any time I suggest freezer camp for one of our bully hens he works to re-home them instead!

8. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Don't laugh! That's what my folks had on their property when they had chickens, ducks, and geese. They eventually had to divide up the chickens from the ducks because the ducks were messy in the water and the chickens drank it instead of their clean water. Anyway, 2000 sq ft isn't all that much if you have 50 Babcock Leghorns, a flock of ducks, and a gaggle of geese (or is that goose?).

9. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Sometimes things like lice/mites/worms can interfere with good laying. We have our hens on a regular health maintenance routine for lice/mites/worms as those seem to be the primary causes for drop in egg production affecting a flock at once. Once a month we use Poultry Protector (organic) for the lice/mites prevention on the hens and on the coop (directions on label) and use a wormer every four months. With wormers it's hard to find one that doesn't require throwing out the eggs for 7 days minimum but it's worth it to have the hens regain good production afterwards. Spring and summer hens should be doing a bang up job of laying and if not, the culprit is usually either lice/mites or worms.

10. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    If your mystery chick is a BR or Dom it will be very people friendly and talkative. It's a shame it's the only one of its kind in the flock. Our Dom chick was very outgoing before we lost her to a sudden seizure. The breeder said the adults are just as friendly and outgoing as the chicks too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by