post your chicken coop pictures here!

An addition to our chickening project:

Finally we can keep the chicken equipment organized.
Wow...that turned out GREAT!!
wee.gif

great idea, i do like hat have to show dh, he will ask if i can find more jobs for him, he still has my run to do
If I was building a run at the same time, I would incorporate the shed into that. You can make a partially covered run, with the roof covering both the shed and whatever portion (or all of it) of the run. Also, if you're making a big run, think about putting a compost in there. Just some of the "I wish I thought of this while building my coop" things. Along with making the run about three times bigger.
smile.png

If I was building a run at the same time, I would incorporate the shed into that. You can make a partially covered run, with the roof covering both the shed and whatever portion (or all of it) of the run. Also, if you're making a big run, think about putting a compost in there. Just some of the "I wish I thought of this while building my coop" things. Along with making the run about three times bigger.
smile.png
goodpost.gif
great ideas.

Need advice. New to chicken keeping. We have 5 chickens and when we got them my hubby picked out a ready made coop. It is not big enough for them now that they are almost full grown. I found a shed/coop on craigslist that I am looking at but not sure about it. It is about an hour drive from us. Is it worth it? How do I clean it before I put my chickens in to make sure they are safe from diseases or anything? One thing I can see is that I think it needs more ventilation.

Chicken Coop... This is a 5x8x6 shed converted into a Chicken Coop. $495

Need advice. New to chicken keeping. We have 5 chickens and when we got them my hubby picked out a ready made coop. It is not big enough for them now that they are almost full grown. I found a shed/coop on craigslist that I am looking at but not sure about it. It is about an hour drive from us. Is it worth it? How do I clean it before I put my chickens in to make sure they are safe from diseases or anything? One thing I can see is that I think it needs more ventilation.

Chicken Coop... This is a 5x8x6 shed converted into a Chicken Coop. $495

Virkon works wonders when desinfecting. Personally I would gut it though, doesn't look very purposeful to me. But for 500$, I suppose that beats building the shell yourself. And putting in new roosts and nestboxes, desinfecting, painting, and perhaps covering the floor with linoleum or Blackjack 57 isn't that costly once you've got the structure itself. Outside looks to be in pretty good shape.

I love the candy colors and gingerbread and retro look all in one!!!

I'm not a fan of flimsy 1-inch chicken poultry wire as it will keep the chickens inside but won't keep critters outside. Poultry wire is not interlinked and just loosely woven and comes apart so easily it will shock you the first time you find it didn't hold up. I use rabbit fencing also but only around my garden to keep the chickens from going into my vegetables. It's good for that.
But the chicken poultry wire - put 1/2 inch hardwire right over the poultry wire to reinforce before you lose your flock to a raccoon you never knew your neighborhood had until you got chickens!

Paver stones or cinderblocks around the perimeter of your pen will also discourage digger critters. We had 2 stray mutts break down our gate and attacked our coop - the poultry wire got so mangled by their teeth and claws that I would've lost my hens if not for a Good Samaritan neighbor! They couldn't dig under the coop because we had a 3 foot wide paver stone walkway all around but the poultry wire was mangled beyond repair.

Border Collies or Rotts (ours) will do a bang up job of protecting while you're at home. Once you leave the house, the dogs snooze and deeply. Don't care what breed (we've had a Border too) they all behave the same. Ours were snoozing, got surprised at our coming home, woke up, and barked at us as we got out of the car. So much for protection! Heed the advice and don't depend on just the dog and eventually set aside budget for hardwire. Just sayin'.

Still love the psychedelic house - just needs some hardwire. Hey you asked for suggestions and I'm not alone with this suggestion - Smiles
smile.png

Chicken wire is worthless...predators and dogs can rip through it like it was butter and there goes all your hard work and flock. Use 1/2" hardware cloth...the only way to go!

Last edited:
TOTALLY OFF SUBJECT.....
frow.gif
Ok.....has anyone out there dealt with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever this year?
hide.gif
.........Got a call from my primary telling me I tested positive....o antibiotics..for 3 weeks. Never had this before !!!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom