post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Chicken wire is worthless...predators and dogs can rip through it like it was butter and there goes all your hard work and flock. Use 1/2" hardware cloth...the only way to go!

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

An addition to our chickening project:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally we can keep the chicken equipment organized.

3 people like this.
  3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Wow...that turned out GREAT!! [​IMG]

4. gilcamp4

gilcamp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    delaware

5. Wow. Love it.

6. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

If I was building a run at the same time, I would incorporate the shed into that. You can make a partially covered run, with the roof covering both the shed and whatever portion (or all of it) of the run. Also, if you're making a big run, think about putting a compost in there. Just some of the "I wish I thought of this while building my coop" things. Along with making the run about three times bigger. [​IMG]

7. [​IMG]great ideas.

8. RenaG

RenaG Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2014
    Cameron Park, CA
    Need advice. New to chicken keeping. We have 5 chickens and when we got them my hubby picked out a ready made coop. It is not big enough for them now that they are almost full grown. I found a shed/coop on craigslist that I am looking at but not sure about it. It is about an hour drive from us. Is it worth it? How do I clean it before I put my chickens in to make sure they are safe from diseases or anything? One thing I can see is that I think it needs more ventilation.

Chicken Coop... This is a 5x8x6 shed converted into a Chicken Coop. $495

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Virkon works wonders when desinfecting. Personally I would gut it though, doesn't look very purposeful to me. But for 500$, I suppose that beats building the shell yourself. And putting in new roosts and nestboxes, desinfecting, painting, and perhaps covering the floor with linoleum or Blackjack 57 isn't that costly once you've got the structure itself. Outside looks to be in pretty good shape.

10. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Border Collies or Rotts (ours) will do a bang up job of protecting while you're at home. Once you leave the house, the dogs snooze and deeply. Don't care what breed (we've had a Border too) they all behave the same. Ours were snoozing, got surprised at our coming home, woke up, and barked at us as we got out of the car. So much for protection! Heed the advice and don't depend on just the dog and eventually set aside budget for hardwire. Just sayin'.

Still love the psychedelic house - just needs some hardwire. Hey you asked for suggestions and I'm not alone with this suggestion - Smiles [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by