post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. DoubleMM

DoubleMM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2014
    Started the breeder coop today..

Just to the north of the main coop

8' X 6' floor plan with slope roof. This rise will be 4' with pop door into run.
    [​IMG]

This face will be 6' with clean out door. The rest I'm playing by ear.
    [​IMG]
    The run area is 30" X 50"

[​IMG]
    Location of Main coop
    [​IMG]

2. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I'm sure you've probably already done all the online research about RMSF but did you happen to ask your primary how it is contracted? Does it affect all animals too? 3 weeks of antibiotics sounds serious since most antibiotics have an average 10-day dose.

3. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    l

I'm sure you've probably already done all the online research about RMSF but did you happen to ask your primary how it is contracted?  Does it affect all animals too?  3 weeks of antibiotics sounds serious since most antibiotics have an average 10-day dose.
    [/quote]

4. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    Don't think I made it clear but LOLOL....It is...me/myself and I who has contracted the RMSF...chickens are fine....LOL... Tick bites

5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    The whole setup is so nice and you did some good planning and building.

I have a question for you. Since the camper is stationary do the tires get deflated or weather-rotted? I was considering an Amish coop on wheels but decided I might not want to deal with inflatable tires since we won't be moving the coop around the property. I think if we had a big acreage it might've been useful but now we're thinking just regular stationary coop skids.

6. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Scour your area for feed stores that you know for certain order hatchery chicks and not just individuals who bring in their surplus crossed breeds to sell at the store. You can get guaranteed pure breed pullets as few as 3 chicks up to 10 chicks through Cackle Hatchery's City/Town orders for $50 through about $70 with the breeds of your choosing. You'll have to wait 5 to 7 months for the chicks to get to POL for eggs but you'll have the fun of raising them and getting them family friendly. I would avoid getting someone's full grown birds as you have no idea what their genetics are and you can get stiffed - I've heard the story over and over again over the years.

Whatever you do don't go nuts for a "colorful" egg basket since blue/green egg layer breeds are too gentle tempered to be mixed with the assertive traditional dual purpose or laying birds like RIR, NHR, BR, BO, 'Lorp, or Leghorn. All chick breeds get along but its at maturity from 18 months to 2 years of age that the assertive breeds start to bully.

From our experience Ameraucanas (private breeders only) or hatchery EEs are terrific producers of LG-XL blue or green eggs from 5-6 eggs/week without having to deal with a heavier bird that will not be economical on the feed bill. They are kooky spooky klutzy sweet birds that take a month or two longer to mature and settle down but are well worth their better temperament and long laying life and human friendliness. Amers/EEs are also willing to accept orphaned chicks or injured birds into their flock without incident where other breeds are not so willing. Check out OurFlyBabies.com under Ameraucanas to get the full story. EEs are similarly tempered as my friend has 3 of them. These blue/green egg layers are not so brutal in pecking order politics as heavier laying breeds yet still lay large eggs and often.

Your coop is lovely but I would not house more than 3 hens in it unless you plan to free-range them or expand their pen area. Chickens will go stir crazy in that confined space and start squabbling and feather picking out of boredom. That 1-inch chicken poultry wire will not hold up against night predators and suggest you cover over the poultry wire with 1/2 inch sturdier hardwire and line boulders, cinderblocks, or paver stones around the base of the pen to keep out digging critters. Hope this helps and enjoy.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  7. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    You put a lot of thought into the creature comforts but the poultry wire roof over the pen will not keep out strong raccoons with manipulative claws. Poultry wire is not interlinked to itself so separates easily from itself. Also the pen/coop needs a paver stone walkway around the perimeter to keep out digging critters. You never knew you had wildlife in the neighborhood until you get chickens! My daughter's mounted security camera caught owls, hawks, deer, raccoons, rabbits, rodents, oppossums, bobcats, coyotes, skunks, squirrels, even rattlesnake circling the perimeter of their iron fence and yard.

1 person likes this.
  8. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Getting there is right! A good start!

Don't forget the paver stone walkway around the pen area to discourage digging predators. And hardwire (buried about 12-18 inches deep around the foundation of the building to discourage diggers from getting into the pen from under the building. With those security precautions for night critters you should be good. By day you might need to poultry net over the open pen against aerial predators and provide some low shelters, doghouse, benches, etc for the chickens to dive/snooze/hide under during their daytime snoozes when the coop will be too hot to sleep in.

9. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Yes I realize it was you who contracted it but I didn't know if animals can contract it also LOL!

10. I have never had it, but a friend did a few years ago. He is right as rain now,but he sure was tired for quite a while. *sending healing vibes your way*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by