1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Wildivy2112

Wildivy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Darn I didn't have my cell phone with me but had two surprise visitors in the run
    part of the Coop a while ago. I had the girls up today b/c of the excessive rain. I let them out this evening and took their feeder down to the house with me to fill it up. Got back up to the coop and there in the run was a gorgeous blue butterfly who had landed on the HW cloth, and also a hummingbird who was a little bit frantic trying to find his way out of there. I caught the hummingbird and took him out and turned him loose and off he flew, none the worse for wear. Same thing with the butterfly. Wish I had a picture.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    3 people like this.
  2. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Chicken wire is worthless...predators and dogs can rip through it like it was butter and there goes all your hard work and flock. Use 1/2" hardware cloth...the only way to go!

3. gilcamp4

gilcamp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    delaware
    we went on craigslist and got it free, we are also seniors i am 75 dh is 82 i do the cleaning of the coops, we do have 3 acreas and about 58 chickens the yard they have is 30 x 60 bigger then some yards lmdo,

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  4. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Have gotten a few things done to my coop. Got a pop door done although I plan in redoing it with a thicker piece of plywood and used 2 hinges instead of one hinge. Also someone suggested I put up corner boards to help keep the moisture out of the raw ends of the old boards which already have some bowing in them. I cut and ripped a board to create the 2 boards...I think they turned out pretty good. I have another board that can be used for the opposite corner and then I may have to use new 1x4 boards on the back corners. Will be painting the doors, etc but going to try to keep the boards. I'm gradually feeling better. Not as much nausea, etc but having to work on improving my stamina. I tell you RMSF is nothing to joke about and then after I closed up my ladies tonight....found another tick on me.... geeeeeezzz!

5. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    surprised that both of them didn't get eaten. would have easily happen to that hummingbird if he passed out from lack of having something to eat in there.

6. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    You really lucked out with that trailer. A bit large for us though LOL.

7. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Too bad we can't get Orusts or Vendas in the USA as these two South African chickens were bred in an environment for tick control!
    EDIT: Whoops! I meant OVAMBO or VENDA - not Orust.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Carpenter Coop

Carpenter Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  9. Berner Mom

Berner Mom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2014
    Porter Corners, NY
    [​IMG]Still a work in progress but since this picture we have put up the lights and outside outlet. Along with a run in case I need to keep them confined.
    [​IMG]A view of the interior. Only difference is now I have a 5 gallon bucket with nipples instead of the 1 gallon waterer.

1 person likes this.
  10. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

That's a good sized coop, looks like you've planned ahead for chicken math [​IMG] Only one question, why the two doors opening up to the same place, or will the other one be opening up to the run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by