post your chicken coop pictures here!

That's what we decided. At first we thought it would be nice but then wouldn't really use it except to roll it to one stationary spot so we decided against the extra expense. The block/brock idea is a good idea too except that the removed tires would still deflate or deteriorate even in storage so figured it wasn't a good investment. We're seniors and the added expense and work wasn't worth it to us. Just our wheelbarrow tire deflated/rotted in 3 years and is more bother/expense to remove and replace than its worth - we get cheap plastic wheelbarrows now since the expensive ones get chipped, rust fast, and don't last any better. It's easier to maneuver the lighterweight plastic barrows too.

Our chickens free-range the yard all day and really don't use the coop except to lay eggs or roost for the night so we've even down-sized the model of the coop we were planning on. During the day the hens hang out under the yard canopy or the low lean-to shelters or the doghouses for hiding/napping and don't really use the coop much. We don't even keep feed/water in the coop since it is kept outdoors at-will for them and removed at night to deter rodents and night critters in the yard. We have 3 hens and getting 2 more layers in the Spring and that will make 5 which is about all our tiny cottage yard can handle - especially with half taken up by raised garden beds. 5 hens is a handful for us when we add health maintenance checks, routine worming, de-lousing schedules, and coop cleaning/treating every month - not to mention an occasional necessary vet visit expense.
we went on craigslist and got it free, we are also seniors i am 75 dh is 82 i do the cleaning of the coops, we do have 3 acreas and about 58 chickens the yard they have is 30 x 60 bigger then some yards lmdo,

Last edited:

Have gotten a few things done to my coop. Got a pop door done although I plan in redoing it with a thicker piece of plywood and used 2 hinges instead of one hinge. Also someone suggested I put up corner boards to help keep the moisture out of the raw ends of the old boards which already have some bowing in them. I cut and ripped a board to create the 2 boards...I think they turned out pretty good. I have another board that can be used for the opposite corner and then I may have to use new 1x4 boards on the back corners. Will be painting the doors, etc but going to try to keep the boards. I'm gradually feeling better. Not as much nausea, etc but having to work on improving my stamina. I tell you RMSF is nothing to joke about and then after I closed up my ladies tonight....found another tick on me.... geeeeeezzz!

Darn I didn't have my cell phone with me but had two surprise visitors in the run
part of the Coop a while ago. I had the girls up today b/c of the excessive rain. I let them out this evening and took their feeder down to the house with me to fill it up. Got back up to the coop and there in the run was a gorgeous blue butterfly who had landed on the HW cloth, and also a hummingbird who was a little bit frantic trying to find his way out of there. I caught the hummingbird and took him out and turned him loose and off he flew, none the worse for wear. Same thing with the butterfly. Wish I had a picture.
surprised that both of them didn't get eaten. would have easily happen to that hummingbird if he passed out from lack of having something to eat in there.

we went on craigslist and got it free, we are also seniors i am 75 dh is 82 i do the cleaning of the coops, we do have 3 acreas and about 58 chickens the yard they have is 30 x 60 bigger then some yards lmdo,

You really lucked out with that trailer. A bit large for us though LOL.

Have gotten a few things done to my coop. Got a pop door done although I plan in redoing it with a thicker piece of plywood and used 2 hinges instead of one hinge. Also someone suggested I put up corner boards to help keep the moisture out of the raw ends of the old boards which already have some bowing in them. I cut and ripped a board to create the 2 boards...I think they turned out pretty good. I have another board that can be used for the opposite corner and then I may have to use new 1x4 boards on the back corners. Will be painting the doors, etc but going to try to keep the boards. I'm gradually feeling better. Not as much nausea, etc but having to work on improving my stamina. I tell you RMSF is nothing to joke about and then after I closed up my ladies tonight....found another tick on me.... geeeeeezzz!

Too bad we can't get Orusts or Vendas in the USA as these two South African chickens were bred in an environment for tick control!
EDIT: Whoops! I meant OVAMBO or VENDA - not Orust.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Still a work in progress but since this picture we have put up the lights and outside outlet. Along with a run in case I need to keep them confined.
A view of the interior. Only difference is now I have a 5 gallon bucket with nipples instead of the 1 gallon waterer.

Still a work in progress but since this picture we have put up the lights and outside outlet. Along with a run in case I need to keep them confined.
A view of the interior. Only difference is now I have a 5 gallon bucket with nipples instead of the 1 gallon waterer.
That's a good sized coop, looks like you've planned ahead for chicken math
smile.png
Only one question, why the two doors opening up to the same place, or will the other one be opening up to the run?

We have put up the fence, added the lights and have the rest of the trim painted if not on yet.
The "kids" enjoying the yard.

The actual yard they get to enjoy, and it is fenced in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom