post your chicken coop pictures here!

Sure, I'll show off. :) This was built by my very patient and talented boyfriend. The coop is just a Suncast plastic storage box with holes cut out for vents and a pop door.

This spring, the day after we decided it was complete enough to put the chicks out into. The ramp and perches weren't built yet.

They like their perches!

Very nice workmanship indeed! What part of the country do you live in? I see that you're backed up to the woods, etc......you will have predators. There's two things I would highly suggest:

1) Get rid of that worthless chicken wire. Stray dogs, raccoons, weasels, fox, coyotes...you name it will tear through that chicken wire like it was butter. Would suggest using 1/2" hardware cloth all around.

2) Do you have your wire buried at the bottom "apron-style"? Something like this:

Dogs, and especially raccoons, will dig right under the setup you have presently.

Just a few suggestions, your girls are adorable and I'm sure you'd hate to see them killed by scumbag predators...just some thoughts...wishing you all the very best.

Last edited:
The bottom part of the run is hardware cloth, it's the just top that is made of chicken wire. The yard is fenced in, and those shrubs are just in front of the fence between my yard and the neighbors'. We're not in the woods, we're actually in a subdivision. There is wire fencing buried under the mulch and under the run floor.

My coop its old but it does the job :)

The bottom part of the run is hardware cloth, it's the just top that is made of chicken wire. The yard is fenced in, and those shrubs are just in front of the fence between my yard and the neighbors'. We're not in the woods, we're actually in a subdivision. There is wire fencing buried under the mulch and under the run floor.
Subdivision or not the predators will come. We've seen raccoons in broad daylight on the golf course a mile from our house. And we've seen a goat-sized raccoon coming out of our street storm drain at 2 a.m.

Poultry wire is not interlinked and pushing on it will force it to come apart from itself making a nice hole for stray dogs or crafty raccoons to get to your birds. Hard to imagine but I've seen the damage first-hand when two stray neighborhood mutts broke our gate and attacked our coop. The paver stones kept them from digging under the little coop pen but the poultry wire was mangled beyond repair and I would've lost my flock if not for a good neighbor who chased off the mutts before they completely tore open the poultry wire!

Back
Top Bottom