post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Crowing

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Quote:
    With earthquakes there is absolutely nothing you can do except ride out the rocking ground and go look for more new cracks in the cement or outer walls if the epi-center wasn't near you and just be sure to have filled water bottles and a generator for electricity. Shaking ground and loud fireworks noises don't seem to affect our chickens. As for fires we are near the mountains and get a lot of ash and soot in the air and a lot of water-dropping planes and helicopters fly overhead but as for an actual wildfire close to us we haven't had one in our 25 years.

But the Santa Ana winds - that's where the damage doesn't escape ANYONE's property in a vast area over several counties - kind of like a tornado that blasts over and leaves a trail of debris and destruction. Just have to make sure the coops are placed in less open areas so they don't para-sail away and don't have trees planted in the yard. After a heavy rainstorm a bout of Santa Ana winds came right after and we saw trees topple and unearth graves in a local cemetery - eerie!

In our area I would say the winds do the most property damage. We can't even plant a windwall of trees/plants because they'll rip right out of the ground in splinters.

2. broedyhen

broedyhen In the Brooder

Jul 1, 2014
    Dought I wont see or feel any tornados or earthquakes when I live across the pond ;) :)

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    UPDATE: After two more weeks of working by myself the chicken run is DONE! I found someone to help me put all the hardware cloth on, I can't tell you how "chewed up" my hands and arms were from cuts and nicks! But that was the end of my help. So I went to the hardware store and bought 8 sheets of 2' x 10' metal roofing and when I found out there would be a $15 charge to deliver I said "we're going to jam it in the van...yes, my VAN! The guys out in the yard managed to get them in and I drove home...very slowly as I could not see to my right because of the way it was crammed in there! So! I get home and managed to unload them all. The next day I got up early while it was still relatively cool (temps have been 95+) and stood there staring at the panels, staring at the run, staring at the panels, staring at the run. I packed my pockets full of those rubber-screw thingies, put the battery in my drill, and grabbed my first panel. It was actually pretty easy walking one over to the run and standing it up, then leaning it against the run, picking it up and sliding it in place...wow, this is going to be easy I said. Then I took my 3-step ladder and climbed up and in between the cross-slats, made sure everything was straight, etc., and sunk my first screw...there's where the problem was. I almost didn't have enough strength in my arms to make the screw 'grab' and sink! But it did, only problem was that third screw furthest away from me each time...holy geez! I was reaching as far as I could and the further away the less "oomph" I had to get it to grab! Each panel had a row of 3 screws across and 5 rows down it. By the time I got that first panel in I was toast! ... BREAK TIME! [​IMG]Sat in my lawn chair staring at the other 7 panels...how am I going to do this? After resting for a few I mustered up the courage, grabbed the 2nd panel, got it in place, back up the ladder and screwed the 15 screws in on that one! ... BREAK TIME! [​IMG] And on it went until I got to the last panel. By then I was so tired my legs were shaking, my arms were literally dead, and I said heck with it, I'll get that last one in the morning. Mistake....BIG MISTAKE. I woke up so stiff and sore I could hardly roll my 70-year-old body out of bed! But get up I did, and after lots of coffee out I went, grabbed that last panel, told it it was not going to get the best of me and slapped it up...YAY!

Then it was off to the hardware store yet again, this time to have the guys show me how to make my door...oh, THAT was fun! I ended up running 2 2x3's the height of the opening and putting a 2x4 top and bottom and a leftover piece of 2x3 for the center...it actually came out pretty good! And then it dawned on me...I have to tackle the unruly remaining roll of hardware cloth, release the "beast" from the bailing wire that was holding it closed, and cut the wire....by myself! [​IMG] Having never unrolled and cut the stuff by myself I grabbed leftover pieces of posts and laid them on top to keep it down...voila! Got it cut! Then screwed it to the door...whew! I put it in the opening, looked a little tight, but took the spring-loaded hinges and screwed the door in...great! Added the handle...great! IT WOULDN'T OPEN! It was too 'tight' up at the top, about 4-6 inches-worth....I gave up for the day defeated. My BIL is coming over tomorrow with a planer and says he'll fix me up. So, the only thing left now is cutting the pop hole in the coop. You're thinking 'easy', right? Wrong! My coop is a Lifetime shed that is made out of that new-age plastic Rubbermaid type stuff and is double-walled, so I'm going to draw the opening on the outside and drill pilot holes in each of the corners, then my BIL will cut the opening for me with one of those reciprocating saw thingies, the ones with a sword-looking blade that I don't have.

So, there you have it, what the past 2 weeks have been like for this old lady....I have NEVER been so glad to have something done in my LIFE! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Good job. Next time you're installing tin roofing, hit the screw with a hammer first to get it through the tin. Makes it a lot easier.

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    NOW you tell me!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

You didn't ask before [​IMG] Any time you think "There must be a better way to do this", you have a good excuse to go inside and ask your friendly helpers on BYC and they'll come up with something.

I can only imagine the trouble you've gone through screwing in those screws through the tin. That takes a lot of strength.

7. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Songster

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    That or another cordless drill handy with a drill bit to punch a starter hole in.

I've also kept a pole barn nail around to used to punch a starter hole in as well.

8. LindaB220

LindaB220 Crowing

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    [​IMG] Good to have you. What do you have over where you're from. Cold? Heat? Where are you from? I'm in deep south US in La and it's hot, hot, hot.

9. gilcamp4

gilcamp4 Songster

Jun 11, 2013
    delaware
    ok now i have a problem, have had chickens for a total of 15 years, never have i had a chicken sleep in the nest well last week i found not one but 4 sleeping in them, dh said he would block them off for night, but what about that early bird egg. i have taken them out and put them on the roost the last 2 nights, oh ya like that helped had more do it, i just finished cleaning this coop and now the nest full of poo, any ideas?

10. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    The chickens will love all that shade and cover! Oh, I see you later posted you keep the out of this eden. I think you should let them roam. I know chickens can make a mess of a garden but mine seem not to do so all that much since they have a lot of areas they can rip up for dust baths where there are no plants.

I wonder if people are a bit too cautious. There are tons of plants around the house and barn, I have no idea what many of them are and the chickens are fine. They hang out near and under but don't eat the hostas (which I guess are toxic to them or something) but the 2 variegated ones in front of the house are almost leafless. Woodchuck I think but it ignores the other hostas not more than a few feet away.

Keep the sawdust, well not dust but if you have 'chips' from the router, they make good run material. I planed down a bunch of hard maple and threw 2 dust collector bags worth in the barn run where it gets wet when it rains heavy. Kept their feet dry and they have spread it from the original ~5'x5' area a good 10' down the alley.

No shape is stronger than a triangle! And it was easier to build than a "4 wall with roof structure". Also easy to put a tarp over that you can rig with line and pulleys to raise or lower as needed for shade/rain protection.

Sorry but I have to get on my "ramp" soap box. Much too steep, the cleats are too far apart and too wide (vertically). Chicken toes and nails don't dig into wood for climbing. Otherwise it looks nicely done.

The heck with that, tell me about those snow rails on the "big coop"! [​IMG]
    We had an unusual snow, ice, snow layer last winter - about a foot thick with half of it being ice. I have no pictures of the slabs that blasted off the roof in the spring but my guess is some of them were 100 pounds or more before they hit the deck still just covered with plywood and no railing. I don't think it would look a lot different now if I HAD found time to put up the railing last fall.

It did this to the flange on the plumbing vent:

[​IMG]
    still on the roof

[​IMG]
    after removal. I cut out the raised part so I could drill holes in the exact same places in the replacement. Don't need 12
    MORE holes in the roof!

[​IMG]
    The ice hit just at the edge of the deck framing where the rail SHOULD be and I'm sure would have splintered at least some of it.

So I'm looking into rails or cleats. Are both used in Finland or only rail?

No, no, no. You are supposed to get the day old chicks, THEN start the coop and figure out how to get it done when you discover they are ready for it at 4 weeks old! [​IMG]
    Looks really nice. Love the ventilation and light.

Could be hard unless you know someone personally. Chicken age is pretty hard to tell after they are mature, no telling how old they are REALLY. Sometimes there are 4-H or schools with "raise the chicks" projects. You don't really want them older than ~4 to 5 months anyway since that is when they start to lay. Get a year old hen now and she is likely to moult soon. Not many, if any, eggs when they moult and they tend not to lay well in the winter after they start moulting. They lay well their first winter though.

I'm surprised they even went in the coop with the heat lamp on. Cut some windows in the walls so they have light and it looks like it is seriously in need of ventilation.

GOOD JOB! I was in the same shape as you were after your 7th panel when replacing the roof vent, half clinging to an emergency escape ladder tied to a railing on the other side of the house. Man was that quad and arm killing! I also had to give up and finish the next day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by