post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

A roof that leaks under snow is either really old or badly built in my opinion.

3. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    AH, I see! Well, it is true that my girls have a huge variety of plant life to choose from. For vegetation they tend toward grasses and seeds (from grasses and plants that have gone to seed). For "free range protein" - just about any bug they can catch other than wooly bear caterpillars.

Just another example of why one person's flock will differ from another person's even though they are all chickens.

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    The chicken's diet varies upon the season. When we were plagued by snails I couldn't get them to touch an earwig but with all the snails gone earwigs suddenly look tasty. Had a Silkie that loved to do the Whirling Dervish chasing June bugs but this year it no longer interests her - maybe it made her too dizzy. Right now big fat jumping crickets are the bugs of choice. Chickens are a Hoot!

1 person likes this.
  5. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    Working on my chicken tractor for my bresse trio. Still have to add wire and a metal roof top but I would like your all opinions and suggestions. I'm going to add wheels to the rear at some point but I can drag it around as is for now. Base measures 6 x 4 ft. I'm going to paint it tomorrow before I add the wire. Thinking a nice green to blend into the yard a little.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. NikJov1981

NikJov1981 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2014
    ah it's finally finished. Just a couple finishing touches but they're moved in and already at home :)

[​IMG]Chicken Coop by (cobrabyte), on Flickr

and look at what they rewarded us with. Our first egg!

[​IMG]First Egg! by (cobrabyte), on Flickr

As far as free ranging, recently they've been allowed to roam the yard supervised while I'm gardening. They spend most of the time picking at grass or kicking around the leaf litter looking for bugs. I like the K.I.S.S. method (Keep It Simple, Stupid) They have gone to the coop on their own at dusk the past two nights and are using the egg boxes without trouble. The little smarties

This is my first attempt at building anything out of wood. I sure learned a lot. Some of you have some really impressive coops and are quite talented carpenters. I used the coop section a lot for inspiration so thanks for sharing all your collective knowledge. It helps further the hobby for us all.

btw what is "DH"? Dad Hen? Dear Husband?

2 people like this.
  7. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

That turned out pretty nice, although you might want to watch the run roof - it doesn't look sloped at all, so half the water will pour in towards the coop.

DH is dear husband, then we also have the acronyms DW, DD, DS (wife, daughter and son) and probably some others, maybe Dear Dog. [​IMG] And then DIL, MIL, SIL, FIL for the inlaws.

*Edit* Dad hen sounds like a transgender rooster [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  8. NikJov1981

NikJov1981 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2014
    Thanks. There is actually a slight slope to the roof of the run portion. I tested it by "raining" over the whole deal with a garden hose and water just runs right off :thumbsup

thanks for decoding btw

9. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    When grass goes dry in winter you might appreciate the neutral tones rather than a green - even though green is my favourite color the neutral woodsy tones do well year-round in the yard. Of course camo would work for blending in the yard but probably not for a coop [​IMG]

10. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by