post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

That works too, but I like hammering in the screw. You get nice precise placement for the screw, and in my opinion it's the quickest method.

2. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    And these are chickens you have had for some time and in the same coop? That is weird.

3. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I've only seen the rails in use. With new builds, I think it's mandatory to install them above exits and similar areas. They usually work pretty nicely, keep the snow from falling down. I could look into some manufacturers tomorrow and see if some do business in the States. Would you like some close up pictures of them?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Did DH block all the nesting boxes yet?

5. gilcamp4

gilcamp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    delaware
    yes they are almost 2 and in the same coop, we have a new coop right in the same yard but so far i only got 13 out of 58 to sleep in it, i take a few over to it every night, have fond a new chicken goes to new coop almost every night, hope tonight more will go into it, we will see, i even thought about taken the one sleeping in nest over to new coop, i place them on the roost when i move them at night, i am afraid if DH puts some thing in front of them the early egg will have no were to go and then i will find eggs on floor, and i don't wan that

6. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    ALL our girls sleep in the nest boxes. Never had one sleep on the roost pole. I think the pole that came with the little coop is way too thin 2x2. They use the pole perch during the day but for sleeping they feel more secure in the round-holed nest boxes. There isn't a major problem for us. The boxes are relatively free of poop - almost like they know the boxes are not for pooping. Every morning my DH wears a plastic food glove and does inspection for cleanup if needed and adds extra straw. We don't mind because the early layers will have an egg waiting in the box.

7. @iwiw60 Great job! [​IMG] I can feel your exhaustion from here. Nothing like a sense of accomplishment to make all those aches and pains disappear, right? Do we get pics?

I just love the look on the HomeDepot/Lowes guys faces when I tell them what my plan is for a project. They just shake their heads and help me load. When I show them pics when it's finished, they are so proud of me [​IMG] as am I.

Now you go sit yer fanny down for a while and rest up.

Rome wasn't built in a day..........neither was our coop. *mutters under breath, where did he put that lumber?*

8. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I'll post pics as soon as everything is in order....and I can figure out how to turn this !*($#!! camera on! My life...go figure..... [​IMG]

9. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    And you don't get Atlantic storms at all? BTW your view is spectacular!

10. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    There is a company (Alpine Snow Guards) in Morrisville, VT, not 25 miles from me that makes both cleats and rails. Their website says most rail is done on industrial buildings, cleats on residential but that it is an aesthetic thing. I'm seeing more of them on roofs since I started looking into it. Probably because I AM looking into it, just not aware before. But the majority of metal roofed houses have neither.

The roofer said they replaced a whole lot of vent flanges this spring. But he also said keeping the snow on the roof is a 50-50 thing. It COULD possibly leak if it starts to melt underneath (which is what leads to the avalanche in the first place) if it can't leave and you have to make sure your roof can support the load. One of the carpenters was insistent that we pay the extra for double locked seams. He said water can wick up and over a single lock, but it can't go back up and over the inner fold. The house is timber framed, with 8" structural insulated panels under the metal roof all supported by 8"x10" top plates on 10"x12" posts. So it is a "cold" roof, no heat in the attic (no attic anyway) to melt it from the bottom. It took the warmer weather and sun of spring to start it melting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by