post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I wasn't sure by what you meant by "false" in your post but your setup is spectacular.

2. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Subdivision or not the predators will come. We've seen raccoons in broad daylight on the golf course a mile from our house. And we've seen a goat-sized raccoon coming out of our street storm drain at 2 a.m.

Poultry wire is not interlinked and pushing on it will force it to come apart from itself making a nice hole for stray dogs or crafty raccoons to get to your birds. Hard to imagine but I've seen the damage first-hand when two stray neighborhood mutts broke our gate and attacked our coop. The paver stones kept them from digging under the little coop pen but the poultry wire was mangled beyond repair and I would've lost my flock if not for a good neighbor who chased off the mutts before they completely tore open the poultry wire!

3. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    When there are Atlantic storm warnings do you have an evacuation plan for your hens? We don't live on the ocean front but we do get what they call "Santa Ana winds" and the gusts get up to 100mph and have ripped out plants, canopy awnings, trees, etc. We have to tie down things and not have trees around the property or the branches will break and crash through roofs and windows. All us neighbors have removed all our property trees but unfortunately the freeway trees near our street blow leaves and boughs into our yards during Santa Ana's. One neighbor had all his roof tiles ripped off and blown into a neighbor's yard across the street. Santa Ana only happens a couple times a year but it's Crazy when it does! We had to find a place to position our coop in a corner of a garage/house wall to serve as a buffer against the winds that whip through the property.

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    At one time Greenfire Farms had imported Orusts. They might be worth a contact to see if they still have some in the U.S.

5. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I believe Greenfire Farms had imported Orusts before. Check with them to see if they still have some of those tick-eating South African fowl.

EDIT: Whoops! I mean OVAMBO not Orusts. Now I know Greenfire had Orust at one time but those are Swedish. The tick-eating South African chickens are Ovambo and Venda. Just too many chicken breeds to keep straight - darn it!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  6. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    [​IMG] Wow look at the view. Lucky chickens.

7. Carpenter Coop

Carpenter Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

It took me a bit to see what you were talking about. I have no idea how False got there.
    I have the hardest time navigating the forums and posts.

Even when I find a mistake. I can't go back and delete it.

Thank you anyway. I see other coops and say wow! Wish I'd done that.

8. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    In the bottom left-hand corner of your post there is a pencil icon. Click on it within your post and then edit your post and hit "submit" again. Someone told me about it when I signed up on BYC.
    [​IMG]

9. tridentk9

tridentk9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014

And when fires or earthquakes hit during the Santa Ana's ........

10. Carpenter Coop

Carpenter Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Ty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by