post your chicken coop pictures here!

The wood for the coop was donated from a friend. Its all 1" thick rough cut oak and cherry. We were originally going to purchase a coop but the price range was horrible for what people want for small coops. So we opted to build one on our own. I built this for half the price of what they were asking for one half this size. We are happy with how it turned it.

Hi everyone... I'm sick and tired of waiting on The King of PROCRASTINATION!!!! :mad:
I'm just going to build my new coop myself but I would like a few idea helpers.... It will be a 4'x8' coop 2' high stand 2' high at front with 2.5' at back for rain drain with 5-8" overhang for rain .... Here's where I need suggestions.....
#1. Bedding.... Thinking sweet PDZ on floor with shavings in nest boxes for easy cleanup... Would love first hand suggestions....

#2. Nest boxes.... Last coop had fixed boxes but it's killer on cleanup... Thinking cat little boxes but not sure if it should be enclosed or open... If enclosed I'm thinking milk crates on their sides with a piece of 2"x4"s as a lip...

#3. Feeder/water..... I've got 2 1gal hanging waterers but they tip it spilling water.... I did see an idea about using PVC pipe but are these really secure and safe...

#4. Roost bars.... I'm going to use 1"x4"s with flat side down for easy roosting but I would like it to be removable.... Ideas? I'll put a shallow poop pan under it for droppings....

Keep in mind I'm on a TIGHT budget so most will be dollar tree items and recycled. Thanks for any suggestions... :thumbsup

You can find a bunch of pallets and reuse them. Ride around new neighbor hoods being built and ask the contractor for all the scrap wood and shingles. If you use pallets and scrap wood all you have to do is paint them with a outdoor latex paint and it will last a long time and looks nice too.

You can find a bunch of pallets and reuse them. Ride around new neighbor hoods being built and ask the contractor for all the scrap wood and shingles. If you use pallets and scrap wood all you have to do is paint them with a outdoor latex paint and it will last a long time and looks nice too.

Thanks... Good idea.

T, I Have one idea. When building this yourself, use screws instead of nails. This allows you to take it back apart easily for any changes that might be made during the building process. Yes, it is a little more money, but it allows you to change anything easily while you're building. Just my opinion

Back
Top Bottom