post your chicken coop pictures here!

The wood for the coop was donated from a friend. Its all 1" thick rough cut oak and cherry. We were originally going to purchase a coop but the price range was horrible for what people want for small coops. So we opted to build one on our own. I built this for half the price of what they were asking for one half this size. We are happy with how it turned it.

I was wondering about the play house. It is magnificent as well. My hat's off to you!!

The wood for the coop was donated from a friend. Its all 1" thick rough cut oak and cherry. We were originally going to purchase a coop but the price range was horrible for what people want for small coops. So we opted to build one on our own. I built this for half the price of what they were asking for one half this size. We are happy with how it turned it.

And, the ones you buy are not that well built. Maybe the ones in the thousands of dollars are, but a few hundred dollars does not buy a well built coop. I can get in the one I built and jump up and down, it will not sway or break.

T, I Have one idea. When building this yourself, use screws instead of nails. This allows you to take it back apart easily for any changes that might be made during the building process. Yes, it is a little more money, but it allows you to change anything easily while you're building. Just my opinion

X2. I had to take apart quite a few times. A drill with a Phillips head bit made screwing in and taking out easy. I went ahead and dug deep and bought really good easy glide screws. Otherwise I tended to strip them and then out comes the hack saw. Bummer. The really good ones have star or square heads and the bit comes free in the package. One thing I don't go cheap on is screws. You'll thank me later. Almost Everything else I get from the side of the road. Also, if you make your coop the standard size of wood, plywood, etc. it cuts down on board cutting. I got my plywood from Lowe's and brought the measurements for the top and back and they cut it free for me, I couldn't have gotten the full size in my car anyway.

Last edited:
woot.gif
Great job! Your girls will be sooo comfortable now!

And, the ones you buy are not that well built. Maybe the ones in the thousands of dollars are, but a few hundred dolland i ars does not buy a well built coop. I can get in the one I built and jump up and down, it will not sway or break.

Agreed! They're not advertised correctly when it comes to how many chickens they can house either, never having enough room for the numbers they claim. My first coop was a prefab kit advertised to hold 4-6 chickens but it barely had enough room for 2 full grown hens and that was without keeping feed and water inside.

I upgraded this spring but had ZERO faith in my carpentry skills so I scoured craigslist and other more locally based buy/swap sites and even the used coops that needed work were between $600-1000 and not one was what I was really looking for. I ended up getting an ice fishing shanty and converted it into a hen house. It's 4x8, well built and on skids so it can be moved and it was $250. I added cottage windows I found for $8 each and used the materials from gutting it to frame out the windows and make the ladder, roosts, catch tray and chicken door.

Last edited:
I think my last post disappeared! So my 12 year old son and I built our coop with all reclaimed materials except some 2x4s and hangers. And the chicken wire of course! These pics are before the run was attached.

Back
Top Bottom