post your chicken coop pictures here!

Is her leg injury permanent or broken? Or do you think it's a bad internal bruise? Poor sweetie! If she is permanently disabled she will need a gradual ramp to climb to the new coop's nestboxes. To not get picked on an injured bird will endure a lot of pain to keep from looking ill so they don't get pecked by other chickens. She should be isolated indoors and watched to keep her calm while recuperating so her injury can heal and not cause her so much discomfort outdoors trying to keep up her appearances in front of the flock. The roo could hurt her more during mating too. It wouldn't hurt to separate her from the others for a few days since the roos have no sense to leave an injured hen alone. This is one reason I like Ameraucanas and EEs in my yard -- they accept orphaned chicks or injured birds into the flock without incident where other breeds are not nice about it.
There's nothing wrong with the egg except maybe some extra stress hormones in it -- just guessing here. Notice how much darker the mini-egg is because there was less egg surface for the pigment to cover so it came out darker. The egg is fine to eat or if you feel better not to eat it just hardboil it and feed it back to the chickens in their treat bowl. It looks like the size of one of our Silkie eggs!
we got a small one like that and no yolk, i cooked it and mixed with the scarch, we have a dog that goes in yard at night and gets chickens out from under coop, it is to cold for them to sleep there this time of year, our dog has been good with them helps us round them up if any get out, but on the other hand i would never leave him out with them, i do think he would try to play with them and hurt them. we never even leave him out of the house with out us, and i have great grand babies that come over just to get eggs out of coop, never slowed down the laying.

Hey TJ, I prefer not to use antibiotics if I don't really think it's a matter of life and death. I have 2 products that I have available for animal wounds: Blu-Kote (germicidal/fungicidal) from Dr. Naylor. I have used it and it stopped the bleeding instantly and sealed/healed the wound in a couple of days. It can also be used on horses and dogs but NOT cats (here kitty kitty kitty...
gig.gif
)

The other product is called EMT Gel (natural hydrolysate of collagen) by Lambert Kay. I haven't used it yet as I haven't had any (large) open wounds serious enough to need it. But I have it just in case. I bought both at the local Tractor Supply. Hope your wounded recover.

Edit to add that the wound I used the Blu-kote on was on the rooster's foot. Even tramping through all the waste in the bedding, there was no infection! Good stuff by my way of thinking.

Last edited:
Hey TJ, I prefer not to use antibiotics if I don't really think it's a matter of life and death. I have 2 products that I have available for animal wounds: Blu-Kote (germicidal/fungicidal) from Dr. Naylor. I have used it and it stopped the bleeding instantly and sealed/healed the wound in a couple of days. It can also be used on horses and dogs but NOT cats (here kitty kitty kitty... :gig )

The other product is called EMT Gel (natural hydrolysate of collagen) by Lambert Kay. I haven't used it yet as I haven't had any (large) open wounds serious enough to need it. But I have it just in case. I bought both at the local Tractor Supply.  Hope your wounded recover.

Edit to add that the wound I used the Blu-kote on was on the rooster's foot. Even tramping through all the waste in the bedding, there was no infection! Good stuff by my way of thinking.

Thanks... I'll go to the tractor supply tomorrow and get some... Then I'll bug my husband until he gets that kennel, sequester half off for the wounded and pray...

Well... It was not the dog that got my birds... Unless she can get off the chain and back on it..l I went to get traps this evening, came home to lock everyone up and set them.... It's struck again.... Missing 1..... 1 more injured that I can tell.... Will check rest in the morning....

Oh no! Is there any way to keep the birds in a garage, lanai, or enclosed dog run, or like us we keep the girls in a kennel in the living room when there's an emergency. Oh! So frustrating to keep coming home to poor injured birds. Something knows your birds are easy dinner! 'Coons, Big Wildcats, and Coyotes are too smart for traps -- need a .22 for those predators! Don't laugh but someone on BYC built himself an actual Coyote tower to pick off any approaching varmints. Can you set up an electric fence perimeter around your flock before you lose the whole bunch to a cruel predator? I want to cry it's so frustrating! If you plan on replacing your lost birds, don't do it until your final secure coop/pen gets done. My DD/SIL set up a night camera to find out what was coming around their property -- besides the obvious Raccoons and usual stray Dogs, 'Possums, Rats, Snakes, and Skunks, they also got pix of Deer, Coyotes, Bobcat, and a BEAR! A couple years ago their neighbor spotted and reported a Mountain Lion (Cougar/Puma).

we got a small one like that and no yolk, i cooked it and mixed with the scarch, we have a dog that goes in yard at night and gets chickens out from under coop, it is to cold for them to sleep there this time of year, our dog has been good with them helps us round them up if any get out, but on the other hand i would never leave him out with them, i do think he would try to play with them and hurt them. we never even leave him out of the house with out us, and i have great grand babies that come over just to get eggs out of coop, never slowed down the laying.

Sounds like you monitor your puppy and grandkids. It's when there's no monitoring that it's iffy about trusting pets or small children around layers. My Mom on the farm said to never trust little kids or puppies behind your back because they get into trouble in the wink of an eye and that's stuck with me all these years!

Sounds like you monitor your puppy and grandkids. It's when there's no monitoring that it's iffy about trusting pets or small children around layers. My Mom on the farm said to never trust little kids or puppies behind your back because they get into trouble in the wink of an eye and that's stuck with me all these years!
Hell, there's more than likely a few of us here that are living proof that you can get into trouble darn fast as a kid.
wink.png

Oh no!  Is there any way to keep the birds in a garage, lanai, or enclosed dog run, or like us we keep the girls in a kennel in the living room when there's an emergency.  Oh! So frustrating to keep coming home to poor injured birds.  Something knows your birds are easy dinner!  'Coons, Big Wildcats, and Coyotes are too smart for traps -- need a .22 for those predators!  Don't laugh but someone on BYC built himself an actual Coyote tower to pick off any approaching varmints.  Can you set up an electric fence perimeter around your flock before you lose the whole bunch to a cruel predator?  I want to cry it's so frustrating!  If you plan on replacing your lost birds, don't do it until your final secure coop/pen gets done.  My DD/SIL set up a night camera to find out what was coming around their property -- besides the obvious Raccoons and usual stray Dogs, 'Possums, Rats, Snakes, and Skunks, they also got pix of Deer, Coyotes, Bobcat, and a BEAR!  A couple years ago their neighbor spotted and reported a Mountain Lion (Cougar/Puma).

Unfortunately we live WAY to close to others for electric fencing but don't think I've not contemplated that lol... I've got an old trick for coons... They can't pass up shiny objects.... My dad built a trap a 'coons' age ago for them... :lau coons age...
Anyway... I've got a nice little .22, 380 and .40 cal pistol, a few different cal shotguns and riffles ... I'm waiting for that trap to spring on anything...

I can't find sign of my bird anywhere... No blood, feathers... It's just gone... I've even searched the other yards and the small open plot next to us.... She either flew away, was carred away or little green men came and took her for untold reasons... :sick hope it's not the latter :lau
That would be weird. Lol...

Anyway... I'm starting to think it may be an air attack...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom