post your chicken coop pictures here!

How much linoleum/sheeting and where you use it is up to you. We HAD to plexiglass our nestboxes because of one particularly OCD hen that damaged/splintered her toes scratching the wood so obsessively that we had to take her to the vet twice. To stop the problem we were forced to use something hard in the nestbox bottoms. I've seen some professionally built Amish coops that had individual low-rim hard plastic trays in each of their nestboxes for easy removal. Any lining that makes your life easier is worth the effort. We have to clean out our nestbox straw daily because the poopy chickens sleep in them plus lay their eggs in them so lining the wooden nestboxes from uric poop was a necessity. Lining makes it easier to clean up a broken egg too because they soak right into the wood when broken. A lot of these little suggestions would have made life so much easier 3 years ago when we started keeping a coop. To this day I am still getting good new ideas and this coop thread has been one of my 2 favourites on BYC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aart

That's a habit that can, and should be IMO, be broken.
Yes, I agree that sleeping in the nestboxes is not the ideal. We have had to be extra solicitous about keeping the boxes clean every day and sometimes twice. However we figured out why our hens were preferring sleeping in the boxes. For one thing the boxes are completely enclosed with circle hole entrances. Whereas the one perch in the coop is located at the same level as the nestbox ledge but not as secluded - there's only an outside tarp covering three sides of open wire walls. Also, we had no design input into this pre-built coop at the feed store and the builder did not put a sufficiently wide enough perch to be used as a good roost. There's nothing we can do about modifying this small coop so we don't worry about breaking any chicken habits at this point. I think it will all resolve itself when the hens have a higher perch in a roomier closed house. This is why we are saving for a new coop building like a Dutch or Amish type housing with sturdy well placed higher roosts with built-in clean out drawer accessed through an outside drop lid - not cheap already assembled but we can't assemble a DIY Amish kit ourselves in our old age. Our current coop is too small for 4 chickens - we're adding a Lucky Dog kennel to expand it but it's not the same as an enclosed coop. The little coop was ok for our original two Silkies 3 years ago but we added two egg-laying LF since and need upgraded housing.

We had a White Leghorn and Marans who slept in our nesting boxes along with the Silkies, and Ameraucana. After the White Leg and Marans became bullies we re-homed them to a friend and they quickly by the 2nd night had acclimated themselves to roost on the roomy perch bars in their new pen. So you see, the space, perches, and coop conditions are factors about where the chickens will roost for the night. Some people have Silkies who sleep on the coop floor. Not my preference. So I'm glad that mine have chosen the nestboxes to sleep in. Some people who have floor-sleeping Silkies have enticed them to use roomy covered cat litter boxes with straw to get their birds off the floor. Everyone does what they need to for their situation. I used to think in terms of black or white, right or wrong, but there are shades of gray that we sometimes have to settle for in our individual case. There is the ideal which we all would love and then there is the practical we have to ultimately face.

Love this thread!

The Doo Drop Inn. Under Spring clean up. There's a side yard as well. It's quite roomy. Had limb damage from ice storms, so it needs a little work.

Still working on the new addition but here's where I'm at.

Still have the mulch or whatever I decide for around the coop. Any suggestions???

Let me know where you get the good edible kind of nasturtiums - I understand humans can eat it too except I researched that it is spicy/bitter? Nasturtiums planted between rows of garden vegetables is supposedly a good garden insect deterrent as well.

I understand pansies are chicken edible but they are only an annual and too expensive to keep buying and replenishing pansy plants every year.

I found that although Marigolds are good for insect control in your vegetable garden, there's only ONE Marigold variety that is the beneficial one as an insect deterrent.

My chicken friend planted corn and grains in a little area on the side of her coop but I personally don't want to attract rodents, rats, mice etc. so near to my coop - something else to think about before planting attractive meals for predators.

A plant my chickens loved was an old climbing rose bush to sit beside for hiding and shade during the day. The roses looked pretty, smelled nice, the chickens loved the shade, and rodents don't like the thorny branches. A row of different colored rose bushes in front of the pen will look nice and the chickens will love the hiding and shade they provide but it will obstruct your distant view of the chickens. You decide whether you wish to shade the chickens or enjoy the view of their pen from a distance - be aware that chickens usually don't stay out in open view for long anyway. Ours are always sitting under bushes, lean-to's or inside their coop when not actively foraging. Sometimes they sit up against the green trash bin in the backyard to hide/snooze. They don't like open spaces so having an open view of their pen from a distance could be a moot point - meanwhile the decorative yet shady rose bushes would be used by them. One other thing I like about the rose plants is that they are so darn hardy and don't require constant care - a little rose fertilizer a couple times a year and pruning down the stems in November and they grow back big and beautiful by Spring. My climbing rose bush was 25 years old before we finally had to pull it out during remodeling and we never fertilized it OR pruned it! The only flower plant I know that can take neglect and abuse and still come back fresh and beautiful in the Spring!

If you want a good reference book preview it at a Barnes and Noble bookstore - it is called "Free-Range Chicken Gardens" by Jessi Bloom which lists toxic vs safe plants to have around chickens with attractive garden photos, coop designs, and backyard layout plans. It's $19.95 in paperback and less $$$ if you download it to a Nook. I just picked up my book last week after drooling over it for the past 6 months. This is one of two basic reference books I have on chickens and the other book I have is "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" 3rd Edition.

You really turned the chicken run into an attractive backyard scene!

The Doo Drop Inn. Under Spring clean up. There's a side yard as well. It's quite roomy. Had limb damage from ice storms, so it needs a little work.

Have you noticed which round nestbox your ladies prefer to lay their eggs? Is the round box farthest from the door ever used? We find that our 4 hens all want to lay their eggs in the nestbox closest to the entrance. Another thread post said their hens all want to use just the one nestbox when there are plenty of others to choose from.

Another question - do your chickens sleep on their roost pole or in the nestboxes? I'm trying to study coop configurations to get a feel of how/why chickens choose certain nestboxes to lay and where they ultimately wind up roosting for the night. I know the alpha chicken always gets first pick of a roosting spot but I'm studying the why and where all the chickens ultimately make their choices for egg-laying and sleeping.

Love the Doo Drop Inn! We call ours the "Dome-Chick" which in Russian means "Little House."

Originally the coop had been a children's play set. Our grandkids are too big now so we added 6 golden comets to our family. They are big girls now and they usually each lay an egg every day. In the winter when it's way below zero we cover the south screen with heavy plexi and hang a heat lamp. The egg nests are on the other end with a door for our easy access. Their little yard is in the back with a door into the bottom. They go up a ramp in the back to lay

We were looking to buy a new playset and convert it to a chicken's play area. Of course the playset prices were so outlandish that we ultimately chose to allot the money for an Amish/Dutch style coop instead. Excellent idea that you STOLE from us LOL - but I'm glad to see someone else had the same idea! Like minds are great minds !

Here is the coop for the 3 chicks. They turn 6 weeks old on Monday and really enjoy their time outside. Will be putting them in tonight. All we have left is to put a few nesting boxes in. They seem to enjoy snuggling in there when getting outside time with one of my hens.

I love it when I see another chickeneer using the same ideas we came up with. Similar to your pen we used a Lucky Dog kennel to add more space to our little existing coop - the coop was ok for two Silkies but when we added two LF egg layers we needed more space for them to spread out before releasing them free-range the rest of the day. These kennels are sturdy but I don't like how wide the wire is on them - the spaces are a little closer at the bottom of the cage but get wider above. We bought more poultry wire to cover the roof which only came with a soft tarp sloped roof cover and the kennel is on stepping stone patio slabs to keep out digging predators. We don't use the kennel for housing but only as additional run space.

We want a wheeled house coop eventually but it'll be a couple years down the road before we can afford it. Meanwhile these kennels aren't a bad investment. We re-sprayed the kennel panels on both sides with Rust-o-leum black paint to add some more weather protection to the cage as some kennel reviews said these were poorly sprayed and rusted. We didn't take a chance and went ahead and re-finished them just to be sure - awful added expense for something that should've been properly painted at the manufacture. Then we'll place each of the 8 leg joints of the walls on shallow raised blocks on the patio so there's runoff when we hose down the patio floor inside the pen.

I re-sprayed our two hummingbird feeder metal poles too to help preserve from rusting - 3 years and no rust yet!

Welcome GAChickenNewbie! What chicken breeds do you have?

Back
Top Bottom