post your chicken coop pictures here!

not done yet but extending my coup, for more chickens, my rooster is so badass and big, hawks don't circle, they just keep flying

• bruceha2000, What do you recommend for the size of a roost pole? These are 2" diameter dowels. I have a full grown Buff Orpington who has been sleeping on them every night for a month. Will it hurt her feet?

• bruceha2000, What do you recommend for the size of a roost pole? These are 2" diameter dowels. I have a full grown Buff Orpington who has been sleeping on them every night for a month. Will it hurt her feet?
The best method for a roosting bar is to use a 2 x 4 with the FLAT side up. This allows the chicken more area to plant their feet and also during the winter months when it's cold it gives them enough room to lay on top of their feet/legs to keep them warm. The pic below shows what I consider to be the 'ideal' roosting bar/poop tray setup, however, they did use a 2 x 2 for their bar. I use a 2 x 4 as I have large breed hens (black australorp)....

not done yet but extending my coup, for more chickens, my rooster is so badass and big, hawks don't circle, they just keep flying
This is a great pic!! Perfectly illustrates the typical scale up from what people think they need...... to what they really need to keep chickens!

Sylvester, thank you. The dog house floor is actually 4" up on pressure treated 2x4's. I like the idea of putting it on legs for chickens to hide under. I initially thought after the meat birds are in the freezer, I could retrofit this dog house somehow. It is a bit tight, and I want 10 chickens or maybe 12 or 15.... {shrug}

We're working on coop designs now. I'd love to do a hoop coop with the cattle panels and the hardware cloth and all that. Where we are, the hawks may be troublesome, but I'm planning my coop/run combo to be covered. The more I look and lurk and consider, the more I think that to start, I want the coop itself to be at my level for ease of cleaning, etc. if not actually tall enough to stand in. The runs I'm thinking can be lower, like 3-4' high.

So much to consider, and I really want my birdies NOW!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom