post your chicken coop pictures here!

Heartsizedfarm- yes it is big enough for a weasel.  It is 2x4 welded wire, so yes it is big enough for a weasel.  I don't think we have them here though.  Our main preds are possum, coon, coyotes and hawks.  My main run does not have a cover but I only keep adult chickens in it.  Knock on wood I have not had a problem with hawks.

Don't just knock on wood. Lay down some wood! Ha! Give them some brush or branches or hiding places in your run. They scurry to safety trying to get under something if they see an aerial predator, so give them that "bunker". Could save a life.

As I previously asked on another post, how do you keep the nest box lid from leaking between where the hinges connect to the lid and the coop ?
Sylvester probably has the best solution with an extended roof or awning. We actually have a piece of flashing installed under the hinge line and plan on installing another piece of flashing on top covering the hinge line from end to end. How well that will work for us is yet to be seen
I like Pineridge's further reinforcement of the nestbox lid. Every added feature will help.

The extended roof line on the Amish coops is a nice feature that we hope to extend to cover the whole box lid or we will put up a straight leg canopy permanently over the entire housing. We just hate getting wet on downpours and those chickens lay rain or shine!

Thank you! I think there is about 6-7 inches of over hang on the sides. Not enough to fully cover the nest box. However, the open field on the opposite side of the coop tends to allow for the winds to come from that direction making most of the rain fall from that direction as well. We have had some real gully washers over the last couple of week and I have not noticed any moisture in the next boxes yet. I plan on putting a piece of rubber stripping to around the hinge area to also help with any water issues. Thanks for the advice!

You'll quickly realize what you'll need to modify the first time you stand in the rain to collect eggs as the rain blows differently for everyone. Our concern was that no moisture rained into the nestbox straw through an open lid - therefore our use of a popup canopy with added tarp over the coop during downpours.

Since this particular red chicken coop doesn't have an extended roof-line over their boxes I suggested attaching an awning over the window so that they can still open the nestbox lid all the way yet will be protected from rain at egg collection time.

Sylvester probably has the best solution with an extended roof or awning. We actually have a piece of flashing installed under the hinge line and plan on installing another piece of flashing on top covering the hinge line from end to end. How well that will work for us is yet to be seen

Thank you both for the information !

New member, longtime lurker. There are some great coops on here and this is where I got most of my ideas from when I built mine. I have had chickens for the last 13 years that started when my little girl said " Dad, look at the pretty pink chics mom got me". Ha ha. Well I had to build something in a hurry and I built a pretty bad coop and run. I had trees fall on it over the years and predator problems. My wife told me I just needed to rip the whole thing down and build another one. I told her if I was going to do that it was going to be done right and would be kind of expensive. It took me lots of research on this site and I took my time. Below are some of the pictures of the build. The coop is 8x12 but with the porch it is 8x8 for the chickens. The run is 16x24 plus the have under the coop as well. I also added a growout pen that is 8 x 16. We continue to improve and make it easier to maintain and look better. We now have 4 RIR's (1 roo and 3 hens) 3 leghorn hens, 8 young Black Copper Marans (3 roos and 5 hens), 3 Welsummers (all roos I believe) and this morning I received 9 pullets from my pet chicken, (5 EE's, 2 Welsummers and 2
blue Polish) I know I will need to give away some of the roos. Thank you to many of you that gave me ideas.

Starting to come together.

Inside with poop board above nests with cheap linoleum. BYC ideas, thanks

Back opening I can prop open. Covered with chicken wire.

I have since removed the shavings on board and use PDZ. Thanks BYC.

Run is completed and a few decorations added.

The back. Use an old freezer for food storage. Thanks BYC. Going to add water nipples soon.

This is the finished product that my wife and youngest daughter decorated on Mothers day. They have it looking very nice. You will notice the small hutch/brooder to the left with a separate 8x16 run. I hope to have breed some olive eggers in there next spring.

Critiques welcome and thanks for looking.

What a delightful coop. A lot of research went into this. And it shows. Excellent job.
welcome-byc.gif
Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom