post your chicken coop pictures here!

One way to start a war.
lau.gif
He's had plenty of time to get it done. Sometimes you really need to motivate somebody to get shibby done.
wink.png
big_smile.png
cool.png

Its not like I suggested she should send the key to one of us until she starts posting pictures of his progress if he's not going to let her just build her own coop.
gig.gif

The big door above is for truck access. I want to be able to back my truck off and unload directly into the coop. this door will also have a people access door in it.

Yep all dog kennel panels. The roof will be a single shed roof with a pitch of six inches over 24 feet. The two areas called Guinea are actually a single Ell shaped space.
there will be two solid walls one on the east facing side and one on the south. Both are directions of prevailng winds. My main issue is stilling down the air during winter to allow the chickens to warm themselves at night time. Chickens put out alot of BTUs.

deb

Kennel panels as walls for a coop in our SoCal climate are great - once you solve how to shield from some of our occasional cooler winter temps it should work well for you. I would suggest paver stones around the outside perimeter of the entire coop to deter digging predators. Dogs in our neighborhood have been a nuisance thanks to occasional irresponsible pet owners. A German Shepherd with his mutt friend actually broke our fence gate to go after our coop but they couldn't dig under because of a paver stone walkway surrounding our coop. That woman's Shepherd is gone now that they've moved away!!! You have a lot of room for Guineas - you know they are a noisy bird? Plan on breeding and selling them? I love seeing people plan housing ahead of getting their chickens !!!

Upgraded my coop originally had a prefab bought on line.
This one is 5.5 ft by 6 ft. I added poop board and perch and covered nest area. Has Space underneath the entire coop for chickens with a 8 x 4 ft additional run. Houses 5 hens will prob get one or two more.
If your hens don't free-range the yard don't add more girls to the coop. The more calculated space each hen has when locked up the happier and healthier she'll be. Chickens really love roaming and get irritated when too closely confined. In the winter months they'll probably be inside the coop a lot so you want them to get along by having a roomy area.

I love the look of the coop and the deliberate rustic look.
Are there ventilation areas along the roof line? I can't tell if there are drop lid vents over the people door or if there are any vents at all?
Don't know if you get heavy snow but your girls will love romping year-round in that yard. Scatter some doghouses or benches or tables or shelves on cinderblocks to give them hiding places from aerial predators. That way they don't have to run across the yard to hide under the coop which appears to be the only outdoor shelter. You have a good breed compatability mix in your flock. So many chickeneers throw in gentle EEs into a mixed flock and EEs are non-combative so don't do well in an assertive dual-purpose flock. You have a nice mix - looks like Sussex, Orp, and RIR?

Quote: Yep.... Dogs are my worst enemy. Though I have Mountain Lion, Bobcat, Coyote, Racoon, desert fox, as well as ALL the flying predators, Feral or loose dogs are by far the worst. And Yes I have had Both Coyotes And Dogs climb the six foot panels. There will be a skirt around the perimeter if I need to but I will start with Hot wire. One strand at nose level and another strand about four feet up for a climbing predator. I lost about twenty Guineas to Racoon attack So all my external wire will be Aviary panels. I had one Guinea loose a leg. it got pulled off Clear up to the hip joint. She was roosting next to the Chain-link. She survived by the way and lived another year.

Its High desert therefore I do get about 72 hours snow And the worst offender WIND. So there will be one solid wall that faces east For the prevailing wind That would be the wall where the feed bins and counter is. Then the whole wall for the guineas faces south and is about three feet from my horse corral. That wall will be a half wall Because my horse LOVES her Guineas... LOL.

Up till now the cold hasnt been an issue. Only an issue for me because I worry. But I have plans in the works for a "cuddle" system. Modular wind barriers that hang over the perches creating a space so they dont get the heat stored within their feathers poofed out from the wind.

For the roof in the past I have only used tarps. Stretched so the water will not collect. The most successful was my last set up. Tarps only the width of each partition which is six feet. stretched from six foot out and down the back where they roost. I purposely stretched them with PVC pipe over and under and set at a small angle. The water could not collect. And Yep the floor of the coop was wet... I used Rice hulls which handle moisture better than any bedding I ever used before.

this is my house the day it closed Escrow in 2003... Once the poultry house is done it will reside visually between those two trees Which puts it in the foreground about a hundred feet away from the house. The ground is Solid Decomposed granite and in that particular area has not been disturbed so its very hard. To give you an idea for scale the rock in the foreground is the right height for sitting.

this picture is taken from the spot I want to build the coop It will be at that the eight foot point along the pipe corral. This would allow for me to park my horse trailer even with the front of the corral. I have since replaced the double carport system for my horse shelter. BTW that worked for about two years till we had hurricane force winds come and twist it up like a dead spider..... LOL. it was fastened to the pipe corral and had a single Tpost to anchor two legs in the corral those never gave up.... But I found my horse standing in the middle of it wiggling a pole and watching the ripped tarp flap.... She saw me and turned to say.... "... what?" and went back to playing with the tangled mess. Gotto love that Draft horse mentality.

Her new shelter is rated for 100 MPH winds. Custom built by the same company that built the pipe corral.... Able to withstand a 2000 pound horse messin with it. I wish I could afford them to build the coop.... Sigh. It would be Awesome. They do enclosures for everything from Bears to Aviarys too.

I used to raise parakeets and finches and have about fifty linear feet of Aviary enclosure wire. That stuff is 12 gauge and the spacing is 1/2 by 3. its self supporting too. you can make aviaries as wide as six feet and as long as twelve without additional support if you use the wire top and bottom as well.

http://www.kwcages.com/wingzcatalog/00010.html

I am fortunate.... I only bought the one cage for the parakeets. Someone gave me a six by four by six flight cage. Then just recently a fellow was retiring from raising birds and his son offered me the aviary if I would just come and get it. Four full flight cages.... Treasure. Then I bought enough panels to build a Cattery for a roommate but never got it built. "Differences of Opinion". Cats are long gone now. So is she.

deb

Sylvester017, you are correct on the breeds. I have two vents on the coop. One on the top of the right side and one at the top left on the back. I've been thinking about a 3rd on the left side up top. There is also a large deck that covers part of the back yard that gives them cover. And my dog hangs out with the chickens during the day to provide fox watch during the day. Thanks for the kind words, and I'll look into maybe providing a couple more havens. Thanks again.

Here's ours outside, plus a picture of the roosting bars and how we buried/aproned out the hardware cloth on the coop and run.. Our 20 girls are 12 weeks old so the roosting bars are small. I will probably replace them with 2x4s when the girls are full grown. There are nesting boxes on the outside back of the coop, and a side pop door into their run, which we just finished roofing. We live in central Washington "cowboy country" so wanted a western theme look :)

Back
Top Bottom