post your chicken coop pictures here!

Building our new coop for an order of chicks coming end of Feb. This is our second go around of chicken raising. Bantams this time. Very excited.
Can someone point out the add image icon? I can't find it.

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Building our new coop for an order of chicks coming end of Feb. This is our second go around of chicken raising. Bantams this time. Very excited.
Can someone point out the add image icon? I can't find it.

Thank you!!
It is the little box with the mountains and sun in it. Just after the video. And before the qote marks on my screen.

For feed, here's a pic of a "no spill" 5 gallon feeder made by @COChix from a home depot bucket. you can set this on the ground for young birds, and as they grow, it too can be suspended from a rafter to keep floor space open. They will hunker down and walk right under it. I think she said it will hold about 25 lbs of feed which will last 8-10 birds a week easily.
LL

Sounds right - I bought two 10 gallon "trash" cans with lid and a locking bail/carry handle at Aubuchon. 1 holds a 50# bag of scratch, the other about 40# of BOSS. I put a 50# bag of feed in what I guess has to be a 10 gallon stock pot with a lid that was in the barn when we bought the place. I've not had any problem with mice in there except when someone forgot to put the top on a time or two. I'm sure I have NO idea who that would have been.
hu.gif
In this house we blame everything on my daughter's nutball cat so I guess I will pin this on him too .... even though he never goes outside except to the vet
wink.png

If you'll be gone for several days and want your birds to have access to grit/oyster shell inside the coop, you could do something like this:

I made these out of PVC and placed them between wall studs. free access for all the birds to grit and shell whenever they need it. they are out of the way and take up no floor space to speak of. Hope this helps
smile.png

I would have the oyster shell (and grit if your birds can't get their own) available all the time, away or not. It is amazing how little oyster shell my girls go through even when they are all laying in the spring and summer. Maybe they are picking up calcium from other sources while they free range but I have no idea what that source would be. I have mine in a small metal bread loaf pan screwed to the wall. It too came with the barn.

Nice repurposing of an old dresser!!!! Where will they roost?

Nice repurposing of an old dresser!!!! Where will they roost?

We haven't put in their roost bars yet. I'm planing on two of them. One close to the top and one below and in front. Also going to enclose the front and top.
Just 5 little hens, bantams. If not big enough, back to the drawing board!

Well, I thought I was going to have to build a coop for a stray...

Spotted this big boy/girl hanging out beside my chicken run... He/she is skittish so I'm not sure if it's wild or an escaped pet.. What is this critter?!

Looks like a Muscovy shellduck. (Moscovy apparently aren't classified as a duck but as a shellduck -- the difference? darned if I know!) They come in more than one color. I was considering getting Muscovies because they are noiseless but I found they didn't lay that many eggs a year and are a very large bird to feed -- the drakes have huge red noses but the ducks are smaller.

Welsh Harlequin ducks are a bit less noisy than other duck breeds and good layers at only about 41/2 lbs. Cayuga black ducks are also fairly calm laying charcoal/black eggs but are bigger birds. Maybe I'll have ducks someday but for now the chickens keep me busy.

Question for those out there in the chicken world. Ive read its best to not have food or water in the actual coop. So what do I do if I'm going away for a few days ?

A coop (the house part) is usually only used by chickens for roosting or laying eggs in a nestbox and shouldn't have feed/water in it. The outside area/pen is where most owners keep feed/water for their flock. We used to keep feed/water in the open pen portion below the coop but after a rat/mice problem the first year, we no longer keep these in the pen. We now open-range our hens all day and leave out feed/water in the yard for them and bring in the feed bowl to clean-out every evening so not to attract night critters. With our new coop we are getting a treadle feeder and hope to cut down on the free-loading wild birds, etc eating our expensive organic feed and treats. Hope the hens will take to learning and getting used to the treadle feature. I hear it takes a while for chickens to get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom