post your chicken coop pictures here!

the chickens stay inside the coop while we are not home. But come out when we get home for couple hours. Just moved them outside yesterday. And they love it!!!

Looks good so far, couple suggestions tho....I can't see the back of course, but some good sized air vents/windows with 1/2" hardware cloth to keep predators out would give them lots more fresh air to breath for when they have to stay in the coop. Will you paint to waterproof the OSB?

Looks good so far, couple suggestions tho....I can't see the back of course, but some good sized air vents/windows with 1/2" hardware cloth to keep predators out would give them lots more fresh air to breath for when they have to stay in the coop. Will you paint to waterproof the OSB?

I am painting it with exterior paint. Brown. And inside also. The only vents are the big one on the front of the coop. Its a pretty big vent in the front. That has wire fencing inside and out with boards across to keep animals out. And chickens in. Upclose its probably a 1ftx1ftx1ftx1ft square.

painted. Still not done adding trim and that will be white.

Well just got to see the coop my mom-n-law got for her 6 babies. Can we say SMALL!!!!!! Good thing these poor girls are only 8 weeks old. She has got to get a bigger coop!!!!!!! I wouldn't put 2 full grown ones in it. My rooster would like it.

And to top it off... She got a MASSIVE 3 gal waterer for them. Things as big as half the run.

Last edited:
Deb - Here you go! I am turning an old abandoned shed into my coop. I am shading the heck out of it, and cutting tons of openings to make it more of an open air coop, being that I'm in West Texas. But this baby has a 6" concrete floor, and sits next to a huge barn and shade tree that will keep it cooler for all but the late afternoon. To combat that, I am going to use lattice panels and grape and wisteria vines, plus I am planting 3 trees on that side. Excuse all of the junk. The previous owner used that area to pile junk, and we haven't removed it all yet. I will be covering the first 20' of the run with metal roofing, and the rest of the run after that will have a HW cloth cover. I also plan on having roosts and nest boxes in the run, under the metal roofing area, in case the shed gets too hot anyway.

Trying to make the best of this situation. Wish me luck! There's no where else to build it that has shade.

Awesome.... that concrete floor will help with the heat as well. Sounds odd but I would use rice hulls on the floor than set a sprinkler in there to sprinkle it all when it gets hot. the concrete will absorb that moisture and evap will bring the temperature down a few degrees. as long as you have pleanty of ventilation. The rice hulls are excellent for this kind of job because they stay dry a very long time.... any moisture that hits them rolls off.

Is it a steel or aluiminum shed. Steel you can paint it with a rust inhibiting base coat then you can paint it any color. If its Aluminum Make sure you get something that will adhere to aluminum... Because Aluminum doesnt rust doesnt mean it wont corrode.

I LOVE wisteria... just remember its poisonous... even though its in the Pea family the pods are toxic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8433406

How about growing grapes they vine like it and even the leaves are edible....

deb
Deb - good catch on the Wisteria!

Here's a link that lists the toxic plants and plant parts toxic to chickens - one of my favorite references: http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

Looks good so far, couple suggestions tho....I can't see the back of course, but some good sized air vents/windows with 1/2" hardware cloth to keep predators out would give them lots more fresh air to breath for when they have to stay in the coop.

I agree. In the heat of summer it will be an oven in there and in winter with no air/humidity exchange your birds might very well get frostbite depending on your temps. Also, with little natural light coming in, egg production will drop even lower during the winter than it naturally would.

Here is our finished coop! Hubby took a week off work to design, build and complete it! Even added flower boxes for the front to make it look pretty.:) The coop is 10 feet by 5 feet. Small doors on both sides to access the nesting box area. Which now has a shelf splitting the area in half and allowing for more nesting boxes that we now have in there. (not seen in this pic) We also added (since these pics) the construction grade sand as suggested by many and it works great:) Loving our chicken and coop! Already have one laying!

Back
Top Bottom