post your chicken coop pictures here!

I was wrong... Momma's a blue frizzle and the dads a silky... Sorry but still cute. They just went home. She will keep me updated.

Bye bye little Pip Squeak... She's keeping the name btw.

Last edited:
I guess ill have to get those then.
1f60a.png

Aww. I'll have to write that down blue frizzle and silkie. Its funny i almost bought both of those like 3 weeks ago, though the silkies were black. I'm happy with my jubilee orps though.

Greenfire Farms sent me this email today for their pre-July holiday sale -- for those of you interested in filling your new coop with rare breeds:

BREED STANDARD PRICE PRESALE PRICE SAVINGS
White Pavlovskaya
$99 ea $29 ea $70 ea
Barbezieux
$99 ea $29 ea $70 ea
Lavender Wyandotte
$99 ea $29 ea $70 ea
Orust
$99 ea $29 ea $70 ea
Twentse
$59 ea $19 ea $40 ea
Niederrheiner
$59 ea $19 ea $40 ea
Black Copper Marans
$59 ea $19 ea $40 ea
Bielefelder Pullet
$29 ea $19 ea $10 ea
Cream Legbar Pullet
$29 ea $19 ea $10 ea
Swedish Flower Hens
$29 ea $19 ea $10 ea
Sulmtaler
$29 ea $19 ea $10 ea

Hello,

I have been lurking on these forums for quite some time now. I have to admit, almost everything my wife and I have learned, was from searching the forums here. I love this website, thanks for all of the help! Now we have established our flock and have a little experience under our belts, thought to share with y'all the fruits of our labor.

Our chicken coop is a two-level, open air design. built by my talented brother-in-law. It has 14 nest boxes, and one long roost. With a separate left and right section for two different groups. I know one group is Cornish Rock, the other are unknown brown chickens that we bought a couple months after brooding the white fatties. The run is secured with chicken wire from top to bottom with blocks of limestone sealing the bottom.

Our duck pond and run is our labor of love. It's approximately 3500 gallons with 1 8000 gph pump creating a small waterfall and a smaller 300gph pump pushing the fountain. Each pump has UV and mechanical filtration. The pond is lined with this fantastic liner made by firestone that carries a crazy-long warranty. The limestone was sourced locally from a quarry. Each one-ton load was hand loaded in and out of the back of my pickup. I put up the 4-foot horse fence by myself, in the rain mostly. We got a small metal shelter for the quackers recently, and they are finally using it when hailstones fall from the sky. We also planted two cherry trees, and two peach trees around the run for some future shade. The feathers and algae are driving me crazy, but I still feel its worth it.

Thanks for all your help!

Aww. I'll have to write that down blue frizzle and silkie. Its funny i almost bought both of those like 3 weeks ago, though the silkies were black. I'm happy with my jubilee orps though.

Sizzles lol... She has 4 broodys right now sitting several so I hope she gets a few more blues... I thought that she was sweet to keep the kids name for Pip Squeak....

This is what I got started today before work...the nesting box opening for the chickens to get in is 1'6" the floor is 1'6" and the back wall is 1' so it has a 6" incline for rain to run off ..And the spacers are going to be placed every 1'2" so there will be three boxes

Nice to see ppl with energy to build in this crazy weather! We had to stop because of drizzly rains.

Our first coop was pre-built assembled with the same particle board as yours. In the nestboxes our chickens scratched so hard before laying their egg that one OCD chicken snagged and pulled out a toenail and made the other toes bleed from splinters. I would suggest a plexiglass bottom plate in the nestboxes (which is what we ultimately did), or fit plastic dish pans in each nestbox, or paint/seal very well to keep the chickens from scratching up splinters. Just passing along what happened to us. With our newest coop we paint/sealed all the inside of the coop walls and nestboxes to protect from poop and moisture and have individual plastic nestboxes set inside the nestbox lane. It has been such a learning process along the way and still we continue learning!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6950884/width/200/height/400[/IMG
Its not as nice as some of the others but it only cost me $40 for the wire and the chickens are not complaining.
I'm pretty darn proud of it.

Back
Top Bottom