post your chicken coop pictures here!

I think people get too hung up on how much space their hens need. The little backyard coop I purchased recommended different numbers depending on the type (bantams, standards or large breeds), if they would be free ranging or have access to a run. The coop I purchased recommended 5 to 6 standards,10 if one added additional run space. The roost area of my coop is only 3'x 3' and has 2 roosts 12 inches apart. I've added run space, my 5 hens have almost 100 sq ft. I could easily add another 3 to 5 hens. My chickens only enter the roost area to roost at night or get access to the nesting boxes during the day.

Not sure how you would fit 10 hens on 6' of roost. They might squeak in the winter when they stay close to be warmer but they will want to spread out in warmer weather. They have a really hard time taking their coats off at bedtime
wink.png

So we bought a farm... Well really it was a house, shop, and lean-too like structure with a hog panel run that we're not sure what it was used for. But we're putting it into chickens, with some modifications... Everything but some of the chicken wire is reclaimed from around the place. Any pointers or obvious flaws are welcomed to be constructively criticized... Or just pointed out. Lol

[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
I just bought lumber to make a 4X 8 coop/run combo that will be put on wheels. The coop part is 4x4 and JUST the lumber NOT the wire or wheels OR roofing material (metal or shingles) was $500. and I used the smallest/thinnest lumber possible and still hold up to the winters we have here and predators
Now I am in NH where lumber is insane and had NO interest in using used lumber (I want to know what the wood was exposed to animal or chemical wise and have less than zero interest in pulling nails) Lumber price was scary insane and to think I will need 3 coops this size by the end of summer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>YIKES $$$$$$$

Greetings @BandKfarms27 and welcome to BYC and the coop thread. I can only see 2 of the pics, and if I'm seeing this correctly, it appears you've put OSB down for the floor. That is going to turn out very bad over time as there's no real way without sealing all 6 sides (top/bottom and all 4 edges) to keep it from absorbing moisture and self destructing. You'd be far better off just leaving the floor dirt. You can then set up a deep litter method and over time make your own compost for your gardens. Congrats on becoming a farmer!
big_smile.png
Best of luck with your chickens!

You're not trying to come off rude or mean but that's how I'm taking it unfortunately lol. Right now I have 10 chicks, when I first joined the forum and started reading around everyone had chicks dying on them from left to right. My goal was to have 4 chickens so I got scared and bought more. Well here they are 4 weeks later and all are still alive and well. :barnie

I had talked to my friend before buying them all and asked her if she would be willing to keep the Roos or any extra that survived just in case they all lived. She lives in the country and has a giant chicken mansion, not kidding. Anyway, right now I have 2 bantams, 1 Orpington, 3 EE's, 2 RIR and 2 "Golden Buffs" --yes I know that is alot and like I said they posts on here scared the poop out of me so I bought more.

With that, I live in town and am allowed 6 so I figured the SummerHawk coop would be okay. I'll be keeping it for now because it was $400 *hides* and because we honestly spend nearly $700 just to get the coop and run completed only for me to tell my husband sorry, not good enough. We had originally wanted to build our own coop but my husband was afraid he wouldn't be able to build one but kind of proved himself wrong when he did good on the run. Maybe during fall I can convince him to build a bigger coop, but for now it stays.

Im unable to free range in our yard everyday because of hawks that we have around here, which is why we added the extra 8 ft run. Is that not enough for 4 hens?

I'm sorry, I know I probably came off that way and totally understand why you'd be upset or take it that way - i mean you should, i got kinda carried away.

But anyway, I totally understand being scared about losing them, sometimes you do just lose them, but you must be taking good care of them for them to all still be alive!!

Fortunately, it doesn't seem like you have too many bigger breeds besides the Orpington and RIR so they should be able to fit in it even longer but eventually I'd definitely try to give some to your friend.

I completely understand that logic, that's how my parents felt and thought it would be good forever. With that said, I hadn't realized 6 was the limit and had thought you were going to put all 10 in it. Although even with 6 it could eventually get tight but with the bantams and smaller breeds it could probably work

Apologies, I hadn't realized you only planned on 4 or 6, I guess I just assumed with the 6-9 bit you had planned on that many. I had also thought that you said you planned to free range but I may have read a different part. Anyhow, I think for only 4 you could definitely make it work if they have that run. Although I would definitely give them a lot of things to do to preveny boredom. And I know you've already invested a lot in it so I don't suppose it's possible to make the run a teeny bit bigger? They may get bored but with only 4 and if you give them a lot of stuff to do I think you could make it work.

Also, if you only plan on 4 and there's a limit of 6 and you do ever decide to build then you don't necessarily need a 4x8 thing like I'm building, 4x4 or 4x6 could work and be cheaper too.

But again, I think you could definitely make it work but I wouldn't recommend putting more than 4 in there and even that is a bit tight but I think it could work. Especially if you keep the smallest or the gentlest of the 10.

Sorry for being so mean before!!!

I think if you come up with plenty of things to keep them occupied it could work for 4. I guess I'm thinking from the perspective of my 8, it is definitely tight for that. I think 4 could definitely fit, at least on the roosts.

If you ever do decide to do something else maybe you could sell that one?

But I totally understand not wanting to waste the money and I think for 4 it will be okay if you can let them out sometimes or give them a ton to do. And maybe you could find some cheap or free stuff to make the run a littlr bigger? I know that with mine theoretically they have enough run space but it's boring space. Speaking of which, even if you can't make the run bigger it's the quality of the space that's important too. I mean, you could have an 8 foot eode, 50 or 60 foot long thing but if all it is is barren dirt/mud or shavings and nothing to do they will still be bored or maybe fight. In a smaller one you can provide a lot to do and they maybe won't notice.

I just bought lumber to make a 4X 8 coop/run combo that will be put on wheels. The coop part is 4x4 and JUST the lumber NOT the wire or wheels OR roofing material (metal or shingles) was $500. and I used the smallest/thinnest lumber possible and still hold up to the winters we have here and predators

Now I am in NH where lumber is insane and had NO interest in using used lumber (I want to know what the wood was exposed to animal or chemical wise and have less than zero interest in pulling nails) Lumber price was scary insane and to think I will need 3 coops this size by the end of summer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>YIKES $$$$$$$

We're building this one and substituted the OSB for 3/4 pressure treated plywood on the floor and 3/8 pine sheathing since OSB absorbs moisture and the sheathing was actually cheaper than the OSB. I don't know if just the sheathing would hold up, we're going to cover it with something. But I don't think the OP did. But anyways, our total came to like $244. Of course we didn't buy 1x3 or 1x6 since we have them and we didn't buy lumber for a run but still. Perhaps its the design? Ours was all brand new from Lowe's too. We are in Massachusetts and OP is in Canada.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/jonny-anvils-chicken-coop

You're not trying to come off rude or mean but that's how I'm taking it unfortunately lol. Right now I have 10 chicks, when I first joined the forum and started reading around everyone had chicks dying on them from left to right. My goal was to have 4 chickens so I got scared and bought more. Well here they are 4 weeks later and all are still alive and well.
barnie.gif

I had talked to my friend before buying them all and asked her if she would be willing to keep the Roos or any extra that survived just in case they all lived. She lives in the country and has a giant chicken mansion, not kidding. Anyway, right now I have 2 bantams, 1 Orpington, 3 EE's, 2 RIR and 2 "Golden Buffs" --yes I know that is alot and like I said they posts on here scared the poop out of me so I bought more.

With that, I live in town and am allowed 6 so I figured the SummerHawk coop would be okay. I'll be keeping it for now because it was $400 *hides* and because we honestly spend nearly $700 just to get the coop and run completed only for me to tell my husband sorry, not good enough. We had originally wanted to build our own coop but my husband was afraid he wouldn't be able to build one but kind of proved himself wrong when he did good on the run. Maybe during fall I can convince him to build a bigger coop, but for now it stays.

Truthfully, folks here aren't trying to be rude or mean. We are all just trying to help others who either didn't do adequate research prior to getting involved with chickens, and are trying to "make do" or "cope". Or those who are in the process of prepping for the chickens they plan to get. There's a wealth of information available here, but I'd guess 50% of the members here joined AFTER they got their chickens, trying to get answers. Sadly, too many have been in your situation. The people who make those coops should be put out of business for selling crap and false advertising.

The coop you bought, you bought... Not much can be done about that at this point. I'm sure most understand $$ are tight and nobody likes having to start over from scratch after a large investment of time and money, not to mention emotion. So dealing with that, you can try to cram 7 birds into a space fit for 3, or you can give up some of those birds to the friend you mentioned and keep a # that will reasonably fit in the space you have available. You could probably stretch it to 4 birds if 3 of them that you keep are the EEs as they are smaller birds. Down the road a way, you can always build another coop based on the knowledge you gain from this one, and expand your chicken keeping to 6 birds or more.

Right now you have 5 large fowl birds and 3 small birds. If you try to cram all of them into that small area as adults, there will almost 100% be problems. Imagine yourself sleeping in your closet with 5 of your friends... It might be OK as 6 year old kids, but as an adult, I don't think you'd enjoy it too much. Those LF birds could easily reach 6-8 pounds each or more when mature. They'll be big and take up a lot of space. Also, RIRs have been known to develop tempers and can become quite mean.

Good luck moving forward and I hope you can work it out to end up with what's best for the birds and for you.

Greetings @BandKfarms27
and welcome to BYC and the coop thread. I can only see 2 of the pics, and if I'm seeing this correctly, it appears you've put OSB down for the floor. That is going to turn out very bad over time as there's no real way without sealing all 6 sides (top/bottom and all 4 edges) to keep it from absorbing moisture and self destructing. You'd be far better off just leaving the floor dirt. You can then set up a deep litter method and over time make your own compost for your gardens. Congrats on becoming a farmer! :D Best of luck with your chickens!

This is exactly why we substituted the OSB in this design for 3/4 pressure treated plywood on the floor and 3/8 pine sheathing on walls and roof. I don't know how he's made it last.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/jonny-anvils-chicken-coop

The price of lumber can be crazy indeed!! Our 4x8 coop probably cost around half of our 17x26 coop (albeit unfinished so far) so, I say shoot big, 4 chickens seems to be the gateway drug of chicken farming!

Back
Top Bottom