post your chicken coop pictures here!

I wasn't saying you were being a giant ol meanie, I'm super sensitive (it's an awful character trait) lol. I appreciate all the feedback, truly.

I can see how my original post was confusing when I mentioned how many the coop was said to hold. We do plan on free ranging when we are home and in the backyard which we do spend a good amount of time out there. I don't want a hawk to come and take one of my babes away lol.

I'm going to be putting some enrichment toys in there for them, it's just my nature to do things like that. I'm sure eventually we will expand but my husband literally just finished the run two days ago. I was thinking of making a Chunnel for them too with the leftover hardware cloth because we have a super long area that runs between the side of our house and the fence.

Aww no, that's not a bad character trait!! Lol i think it's good. Besides, I think I sounded especially meam when I got into breaking down the square footage bit.

Anyway, yup, I think I just saw that bit and knowing how we thought ours would hold 8 just assumed you planned to too. For 3 or 4 it should be a lot more comfortable for them. Ahh okay, yeah we don't free range unless we can watch them either :) mine used to go out all day or they'd escape and I'd just say fine everyone can come out instead of catching the chicken (LOL spoiled birds!!) But now I only let them out a few hours before bed. And usually I can be inside and watch from the window but it is fun to be outside with them. With mine so far the issue is getting them to explore the rest of the almost 3 acres and not go to the neighbors LOL we have neighbors right behind us in the back but the front is wide opem but nooo they like the woods next to the neighbors. Now they've been staying in the yard though.

I think enrichment toys will definitely be a great thing! And yeah, if he just finished it probably best not to already ask for more lol i think it can work. And the chunnel is a great idea!! I've heard of a couple people doing it and think it will be great :)

I think 750$ is a reasonable amount to expect to spend, some thrifty engineers can do it for less...but I found that when I got a good deal on hardware cloth (at a farm auction) I sprung for the more expensive hinges, added a couple extra latches for security, and decided to side the beauty in locally sourced, rough-sawn pine when I should've just used plywood.

Truthfully, folks here aren't trying to be rude or mean. We are all just trying to help others who either didn't do adequate research prior to getting involved with chickens, and are trying to "make do" or "cope". Or those who are in the process of prepping for the chickens they plan to get. There's a wealth of information available here, but I'd guess 50% of the members here joined AFTER they got their chickens, trying to get answers. Sadly, too many have been in your situation. The people who make those coops should be put out of business for selling crap and false advertising.

The coop you bought, you bought... Not much can be done about that at this point. I'm sure most understand $$ are tight and nobody likes having to start over from scratch after a large investment of time and money, not to mention emotion. So dealing with that, you can try to cram 7 birds into a space fit for 3, or you can give up some of those birds to the friend you mentioned and keep a # that will reasonably fit in the space you have available. You could probably stretch it to 4 birds if 3 of them that you keep are the EEs as they are smaller birds.  Down the road a way, you can always build another coop based on the knowledge you gain from this one, and expand your chicken keeping to 6 birds or more.

Right now you have 5 large fowl birds and 3 small birds. If you try to cram all of them into that small area as adults, there will almost 100% be problems. Imagine yourself sleeping in your closet with 5 of your friends... It might be OK as 6 year old kids, but as an adult, I don't think you'd enjoy it too much. Those LF birds could easily reach 6-8 pounds each or more when mature. They'll be big and take up a lot of space. Also, RIRs have been known to develop tempers and can become quite mean.

Good luck moving forward and I hope you can work it out to end up with what's best for the birds and for you.

I'm going to stick with 4 birds :) I didn't think all of them would survive based on all the horror stories here on BYC lol. My friend does have a huge ranch though and more than enough space to accommodate my extras.

Sorry I got all sensitive on y'all

Also, right now I'm extremely confused about what to put in my run. I read sand was great and then someone posted that sand is the most awful thing. I read straw harbors mites but then I read it's the best thing. lol it's all so confusing!

I've been reading up on chickens for over a year now and even then I was clearly underprepared.

I had thought about putting sand but then some people say the poop eventually soaks in and smells. Who knows lol absolutely do NOT recommend straw. What was recommended to me and what I will be doing in the new run us deep litter. 3 inches of wood chips (chips not shavings cause apparently the different particle sizes break down easier) then 3 inches of leaves, grass clippings, garden scraps, etc. Etc. And combined with the chicken poop it composts nicely with zero effort on your part. And when it smells you just add more dry material.

And aww it's okay!! It happens to all of us!! I've been on the site (off and on) for 8 years and got my first chicks in October and I didn't even have a brooder set up yet when I picked them up!!! Lol happens to everyone.

I wasn't saying you were being a giant ol meanie, I'm super sensitive (it's an awful character trait) lol. I appreciate all the feedback, truly.

I can see how my original post was confusing when I mentioned how many the coop was said to hold. We do plan on free ranging when we are home and in the backyard which we do spend a good amount of time out there. I don't want a hawk to come and take one of my babes away lol.

I'm going to be putting some enrichment toys in there for them, it's just my nature to do things like that. I'm sure eventually we will expand but my husband literally just finished the run two days ago. I was thinking of making a Chunnel for them too with the leftover hardware cloth because we have a super long area that runs between the side of our house and the fence.
hugs.gif
Hang in there your original plan to raise em up and rehome the ones you cant or dont want to keep is a good one.

The eight foot run is an awesome compromise. I too cannot free range.

Welcome to Back Yard Chickens
welcome-byc.gif
from the San Diego High desert. You will find a wealth of info here and the need to develope a thicker skin. Many of us are willing to help and share info. Take what suits you remember the rest for reference. There are some that are passionate about how to do things and others that play it by ear. With such a huge membership you will also come accross some flakes...
Thank goodness you dont have to meet us all in the same room....
gig.gif

My take on all this, and my presonal needs:

Protection from the elements and predators. Easy access for feeding watering and cleaning. Depending on climate in my case extremes of heat and wind that will mean completely open air coop with a roof for shade and some sort of wind break in my case two walls for the prevailing winds.

and First and Foremost have fun.

deb

hm.. don't know. I have not built anything in 2 decades so it was a price shock and I won't buy OSB for anything, not durable and the chemicals in it... yuck this is sort of the coop I am building. I made some changes- like substituted sheathing for the crap OSB and hardware cloth for chicken wire and putting it on wheels and metal roof instead of shingles irony here the metal roofing was the cheapest part!) We bought materials at Home Depot 3 pt 4x4 35 2x3x8 4 15/32 4x6 sheathing plywood 3 19/32 4x8 T1-11 2 25' rolls 1/2" hardware cloth 15 1x3x8 4 2x2x8 1 1x2x8 roofing material not yet bought wheels not yet bought 5 hinges 2 latches 2 screw eyes 1 14 x 21" window I got cheap on ebay ($19) caulking nails stain
Wow that's a nice looking coop!! Mines going to be rather simple I think so that is probably part of it plus we didn't get any siding or anything.
I think one of the biggest costs involved with a coop and run isn't so much the lumber, but the hardware cloth. We were fortunate that we have a local company about 45 minutes away that specializes in metal screening and they sell 100 foot rolls of 48" 1/2" hardware cloth for $92. That's pretty much unheard of. Anywhere else we looked, online or local, we were looking at $200+ for that amount. But really when it is all said and done, it still all adds up depending on what you are doing. Roofing materials are costly and paint can be too. We'll be lucky if our full materials cost comes in under $750 for the full coop and run. But at least we know it is built strong, secure and pretty darn predator resistant. And we can build it how we want. It will last for years upon years.
That is very very true!!!! Fortunately we have lots of shingles laying around from redoing the roof so that's free but paint and hardware cloth will probably cost a lot.
I think 750$ is a reasonable amount to expect to spend, some thrifty engineers can do it for less...but I found that when I got a good deal on hardware cloth (at a farm auction) I sprung for the more expensive hinges, added a couple extra latches for security, and decided to side the beauty in locally sourced, rough-sawn pine when I should've just used plywood.

Also, right now I'm extremely confused about what to put in my run. I read sand was great and then someone posted that sand is the most awful thing. I read straw harbors mites but then I read it's the best thing. lol it's all so confusing!

I've been reading up on chickens for over a year now and even then I was clearly underprepared.

You will find the concept of bedding has a wide range of solutions along with a wide range of proponents.

It really depends on where you live and what is available. Meaning Climate and existing soil for the outside run.... And if your run is covered. I am a fan of three things.... LOL.

for the Run:
1. Sand. For damp climates its awesome drainage you have to build containment for it though. at least six inches high around either with blocks or boards.
2. Bare ground.... what could be simpler
3. Rice hulls My personal favorite.

For the coop.
1 Rice hulls they stay dry and help dessicate the poo
2 Pine Shavings
All can be removed and composted.

Not a fan of straw personally because its heavy when it gets wet and retains moisture.... i have had horses for fifty years now and have never bedded with straw. But I have seen others struggle with it.... Nope life for me is too short.

deb

The T1-11 exterior was only $5 more a sheet than sheathing so that is not what was expensive. COUNTING the hardware cloth and everything EXCEPT roofing and wheels was $539. I think that is extremely excessive :( Not too many years ago I could have built this same coop for under $200

The T1-11 exterior was only $5 more a sheet than sheathing so that is not what was expensive. COUNTING the hardware cloth and everything EXCEPT roofing and wheels was $539. I think that is extremely excessive :( Not too many years ago I could have built this same coop for under $200

Really? Wow. I think our 3/8 inch sheathing was like $15 and I think the T1-11 is like $30. I think that's pretty reasonable for such a nice lookong coop especially including the hardware cloth but you are right that things are more expensive now :(

Really? Wow. I think our 3/8 inch sheathing was like $15 and I think the T1-11 is like $30. I think that's pretty reasonable for such a nice lookong coop especially including the hardware cloth but you are right that things are more expensive now
sad.png

yup 15/32 sheathing was $19.99/sheet and the T1-11 was on sale for $24.99/sheet
If I was not planning to sell eggs, chicks and birds (so people coming/seeing the place) I might have gone more craptastic rural NH yankee used wood/pallet wood project. But I wanted to make a good impression on customers

Back
Top Bottom