post your chicken coop pictures here!

yup 15/32 sheathing was $19.99/sheet and the T1-11 was on sale for $24.99/sheet

If I was not planning to sell eggs, chicks and birds (so people coming/seeing the place) I might have gone more craptastic rural NH yankee used wood/pallet wood project. But I wanted to make a good impression on customers

Ahh okay, on sale makes sense. And yeah, I thought about pallets but then we decided against it. I have seen some pretty nice looking pallet ones though

Greetings @BandKfarms27
and welcome to BYC and the coop thread. I can only see 2 of the pics, and if I'm seeing this correctly, it appears you've put OSB down for the floor. That is going to turn out very bad over time as there's no real way without sealing all 6 sides (top/bottom and all 4 edges) to keep it from absorbing moisture and self destructing. You'd be far better off just leaving the floor dirt. You can then set up a deep litter method and over time make your own compost for your gardens. Congrats on becoming a farmer! :D Best of luck with your chickens!

There should have been three pics. And yes eventually the OSB will have to be replaced, but it was what was on hand. The plan is to save up and build another run next to it with better materials. All of this stuff was reclaimed except for most of the chicken wire in the run which is about 5x20 and still under construction... There is a drop door under the nesting boxes for easy clean out. Quick question: the "lean-too" is closed off on three sides, I was planning on leaving one side open with chicken wire, do you think it will be too drafty?

Last edited:
There should have been three pics. And yes eventually the OSB will have to be replaced, but it was what was on hand. The plan is to save up and build another run next to it with better materials. All of this stuff was reclaimed except for most of the chicken wire in the run which is about 5x20 and still under construction... There is a drop door under the nesting boxes for easy clean out. Quick question: the "lean-too" is closed off on three sides, I was planning on leaving one side open with chicken wire, do you think it will be too drafty?

I saw all 3 pics. Don't have info on the other stuff though

yup 15/32 sheathing was $19.99/sheet and the T1-11 was on sale for $24.99/sheet

If I was not planning to sell eggs, chicks and birds (so people coming/seeing the place) I might have gone more craptastic rural NH yankee used wood/pallet wood project. But I wanted to make a good impression on customers

Make sense, I designed and built my own coop out of scratch not thinking of selling eggs, made it nice, people were impressed. End up selling more than I can supply, 2 yrs later the coop is paid for and chickens are self sustained with their own feeds. Only cost I have now since we move to fully organic feeds.

You will find the concept of bedding has a wide range of solutions along with a wide range of proponents. 

It really depends on where you live and what is available.   Meaning Climate and existing soil for the outside run....  And if your run is covered.  I am a fan of three things.... LOL.   

for the Run:
1.  Sand.  For damp climates its awesome drainage you have to build containment for it though.  at least six inches high around either with blocks or boards. 
2.   Bare ground.... what could be simpler
3.   Rice hulls  My personal favorite. 

For the coop.
1   Rice hulls  they stay dry and help dessicate the poo
2   Pine Shavings
All can be removed and composted.

Not a fan of straw personally because its heavy  when it gets wet and retains moisture....  i have had horses for fifty years now and have never bedded with straw.  But I have seen others struggle with it.... Nope life for me is too short.

deb

For run I was thinking of sand--I live in south Texas and during summer can get up to 100
1f605.png
The coop has pine shavings from TSC. What are rice hulls? I'll have to look those up.

By covered do you mean a roof? Both runs have a roof :)

Last edited:
:hugs    Hang in there your original plan to raise em up and rehome the ones you cant or dont want to keep is a good one.

The eight foot run is an awesome compromise.    I too cannot free range.  

Welcome to Back Yard Chickens  :welcome   from the San Diego High desert.   You will find a wealth of info here and the need to develope a thicker skin.  Many of us are willing to help and share info.  Take what suits you remember the rest for reference.   There are some that are passionate about how to do things and others that play it by ear.  With such a huge membership you will also come accross some flakes... 
Thank goodness you dont have to meet us all in the same room....  :gig

My take on all this, and my presonal needs:

Protection from the elements and predators.  Easy access for feeding  watering and cleaning.  Depending on climate in my case extremes of heat and wind that will mean completely open air coop with a roof for shade and some sort of wind break in my case two walls for the prevailing winds. 

and First and Foremost have fun.

deb

Thank you for the encouraging words Deb :)

At least I'm not alone in my struggle on flooring. I want to use a dirt floor that I can do the deep litter technique but my husband wants it raised about a foot off the ground and to use hardware cloth!!! Is he nuts?! I would have to clean that out with the hose all the time and it would be very hard to clean under. Not to mention the possibility of birds getting toes caught or rats biting young toes.

Nope!!! No cloth on the bottom. I'll go with a wood floor and pine shavings before I let him do that!!!

For the coop.
1   Rice hulls  they stay dry and help dessicate the poo
2   Pine Shavings
All can be removed and composted.

Your choice can also be influenced on what is available locally or reasonably, for example rice hulls are no where to be found by me so it's basically not even an option...

Pine shavings and straw are plentiful though...

I personally do the deep litter in my coop, a mix of straw, pine shavings, leaves, grass clippings, corn husk, pine needles and what not... Very low maintenance, all I have done for the past year plus is add more organic material to keep the depth and fluff it every so often in the areas the birds are too lazy to scratch and fluff themselves... It's a cool compost pile, that generates some heat in the winter and maintains itself for the most part...

Your choice can also be influenced on what is available locally or reasonably, for example rice hulls are no where to be found by me so it's basically not even an option...

Pine shavings and straw are plentiful though...

I personally do the deep litter in my coop, a mix of straw, pine shavings, leaves, grass clippings, corn husk, pine needles and what not... Very low maintenance, all I have done for the past year plus is add more organic material to keep the depth and fluff it every so often in the areas the birds are too lazy to scratch and fluff themselves... It's a cool compost pile, that generates some heat in the winter and maintains itself for the most part...

On deep litter someone recently posted on a FB group she was doing it in Austin, tx and said the smell was fowl. Then someone else said they don't recommend deep litter for hot climates.

I'm torn!

Back
Top Bottom