post your chicken coop pictures here!

On deep litter someone recently posted on a FB group she was doing it in Austin, tx and said the smell was fowl. Then someone else said they don't recommend deep litter for hot climates.

I'm torn!

I don't know if I'd do it inside but outside could work.

Don'tknow if you saw these??? Done right it shouldn't smell but i was worried about that too

I had thought about putting sand but then some people say the poop eventually soaks in and smells. Who knows lol absolutely do NOT recommend straw. What was recommended to me and what I will be doing in the new run us deep litter. 3 inches of wood chips (chips not shavings cause apparently the different particle sizes break down easier) then 3 inches of leaves, grass clippings, garden scraps, etc. Etc. And combined with the chicken poop it composts nicely with zero effort on your part. And when it smells you just add more dry material.

And aww it's okay!! It happens to all of us!! I've been on the site (off and on) for 8 years and got my first chicks in October and I didn't even have a brooder set up yet when I picked them up!!! Lol happens to everyone.

Was searching for another coop i liked and foumd this in my bookmarks. This might help you @mybrighteye

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/tips-for-preventing-chicken-boredom-in-the-winter

On deep litter someone recently posted on a FB group she was doing it in Austin, tx and said the smell was fowl. Then someone else said they don't recommend deep litter for hot climates.

I'm torn!

If it smelled it was not functioning properly and they did something wrong, as for the use in hot climates or not, it should still work if done properly, you can compost in Texas can't you? Deep litter is just a low temp generating compost pile, the extra ambient heat should actually increase it's effectiveness... I believe the biggest thing in a hot climate ( is maintaining the depth so you don't cook it) the depth even in moderate climates needs to be 12-18" I would aim for 18-24" in a hotter climate to better insulate...

At least I'm not alone in my struggle on flooring. I want to use a dirt floor that I can do the deep litter technique but my husband wants it raised about a foot off the ground and to use hardware cloth!!! Is he nuts?! I would have to clean that out with the hose all the time and it would be very hard to clean under. Not to mention the possibility of birds getting toes caught or rats biting young toes.

Nope!!! No cloth on the bottom. I'll go with a wood floor and pine shavings before I let him do that!!!

I agree totally. though I have never had a coop that wasnt all cage wire.

deb

I don't know if I'd do it inside but outside could work.

Don'tknow if you saw these??? Done right it shouldn't smell but i was worried about that too
Yes ma'am! Thank you. So deep litter is okay for hot weather? And where could I find wood chips we don't have any saw mills or anything around here. Benefits of small town living
1f61d.png
Haha

If it smelled it was not functioning properly and they did something wrong, as for the use in hot climates or not, it should still work if done properly, you can compost in Texas can't you? Deep litter is just a low temp generating compost pile, the extra ambient heat should actually increase it's effectiveness... I believe the biggest thing in a hot climate ( is maintaining the depth so you don't cook it) the depth even in moderate climates needs to be 12-18" I would aim for 18-24" in a hotter climate to better insulate...

That kind of depth would be overflowing from the sides of my run. If all I can do is pine shavings and grass clippings will that even be enough to not smell?

Yep I am finding the rice hulls hard to get now with the drought....  But some areas grow rice and its worth a try.  Louisana and Alabama are rice growing areas as well as the Sacremento area of calfironia.

Deep litter is an awesome choice and If I were a composter and had alot of muscle and tools  Not an option for me....

deb

Deep litter honestly scares me, seems really difficult. lol!

Back
Top Bottom