post your chicken coop pictures here!

What a sweet thing to do! Seeing as how chickens are "flock" birds, how is she doing by herself? Any sign she tries to be with other birds?

She's doing okay. I would love for her to have a friend but honestly, I'm not sure even adding a gentle banty would work. My little silkie picks on her terribly but I did put the two of them together today for a little bit and it went okay. Poor baby. Even her sister has turned on her and they were incredibly bonded in the beginning.

I am going to give her a little more time to put some weight back on and get her healthy. She definitely suffers from "failure to thrive" and I have considered putting her to sleep. I am very concerned about her quality of life. She just adores me so it's hard not to be selfish.

She's doing okay. I would love for her to have a friend but honestly, I'm not sure even adding a gentle banty would work. My little silkie picks on her terribly but I did put the two of them together today for a little bit and it went okay.  Poor baby. Even her sister has turned on her and they were incredibly bonded in the beginning.

I am going to give her a little more time to put some weight back on and get her healthy. She definitely suffers from "failure to thrive" and I have considered putting her to sleep. I am very concerned about her quality of life. She just adores me so it's hard not to be selfish.

It's the old law, the fittest survive. Animals have a natural instinct to cull injured or sick. Chickens are horrible that way. They will corner an injured bird and peck it to death. I've lost several that way. If it's just timidity there may be some hope. I've seen champions come out to protect a timid bird, but not one that has physical flaws.

Perchie.girl you may want to read more off the link. I first thought it would be great to do but if it seals it and the wood holds water under it there goes the floor right?

My application will be on a Floor Deck Open all four sides.... If I do it the wood will be painted with waterproof paint on the back side. Before its assembled this is a roofing material so I suspect it will be fine to get wet. Right now the humidity is about 18 percent up at my house.

I have seen applications of sealing where people have used a DIY Rhino liner application. But dang thats a two part epoxy based material. if done right you can use your enclosure as a pond.....
gig.gif
Its expensive and takes some good timing to apply.

this Roof sealer looks to be just the thing. The other material I have been considering is a Deck Concrete sealer.... it too flows into cracks and splintered wood But the rate of coverage is 75 sf per gallon Two coats. It would take three gallons to cover my deck at 30 or so per gallon. This five gallon one would be one and done its water based too.

deb

I built a portable 3 rung perch and put it into the run to see if any of the chicks had a desire to roost and the only ones interested so far are the turkeys and one buff orphington they took a shine to and hang out with. They would fly up to the bottom rung and walk around on it so i put some feed in little piles all over the top 2 rungs to see if i could lure them up higher and today i checked and all the feed is gone from the 2nd rung. It's a start :) They are already forming clicks and picking on each other but nothing serious yet.

I check them for damage often to see if any seem to be on the bottom but no single one appears to be the absolute bottom yet. There are some that are at the top though. The same ones always seem to be chasing others around.

Got my hardware cloth dig proofing done and i like it. Went way easier than concrete. Hope it works :)

I may just cut a window in the coop on the run side and cover it with a piece of plastic lattice. Simplest way i can think of to get more ventilation. If i put it high enough they won't be tempted to mess with it.

Quote:
every one I talked to about it said NOoooo..... Especially for hay storage... All the data sheets talk about not to be used for food storage. If I used Pressure treated Id still have to cover it with something. Unless you know of a product that doesnt have that restriction?

Thats a hopefull question by the way.... I dont use sarcasm....

deb

Better than putting a sheet of linoleum/vinyl flooring over it? Was thinking of doing that

In my opinion, yes. I was going to do the linoleum until I discovered the roof coating. There are attributes to both but the roof coating bonding to the floor substrate and sealing it completely seemed a better choice than the linoleum. If moisture or bugs or whatever were to get in between the linoleum and the floor the condition could exist for a long time before it was discovered. No chance of that with the roof coating. The number of people with positive reviews from that thread convinced me that it was the way to go.

I am going to think about maybe the rubber roofing goo stuff that they use to hold the roofing down but I use sand on the coop floor so I don't know what to use

My only concern is the traffic durability. Roof coatimgs typically stay soft. If you cover it with sand, the sand may embed itself into the coating as you walk on it, eventually causing it to separate.

I tried Thompson water seal and was very disappointed. It is a parafin wax based sealer and not very durable for traffic on my deck. I much prefer a resin sealer like alkyd oil based stain/sealer.

The difference between the roof coatimg and Rhino Liner is that the liner is designed for serious abrasive and impact abuse, roofing is not. Granted, Rhino Liner is serious overkill but at least it's in the right class. Linoleum would be a good choice because it is cheap and replaceable and fairly durable. Personally i prefer concrete for outbuildimg floors for all the reasons you mentioned. You can't hurt it and bugs cant infest it :)

There is always ceramic tile.....

In my opinion, yes. I was going to do the linoleum until I discovered the roof coating. There are attributes to both but the roof coating bonding to the floor substrate and sealing it completely seemed a better choice than the linoleum. If moisture or bugs or whatever were to get in between the linoleum and the floor the condition could exist for a long time before it was discovered......

Why not use both, a linoleum bonder (like a tar or roofing mastic) and linoleum? If the linoleum is bonded then nothing can get under it. The bonder can stay soft and still be protected by the denser, hard surface of the linoleum.

Back
Top Bottom