post your chicken coop pictures here!

Does anyone have any pics of there coop that is around the size of a 8x10 I would like to know what it looks like on the inside and out but either works so I know how much space I have or if I need to go smaller or larger

I never had an 8x10 but had this little 4x6x4 feet tall. It was too small a pen area for 2 Silkies and we started to free-range them so then they used the coop to lay eggs, roost in the nestboxes, and sometimes hung around inside it for snoozes during the day. We added a 3rd chicken but only because we free-ranged them in the backyard.

We now have a 4x4x6 feet tall Barn Coop and with attached run it is 4x8x6 feet tall and comfortable for 4 hens who we free-range in the backyard.
I would never keep the 4 hens penned all day in such a small space unless they can range all day long. Chickens, even little Silkies, like to run, flap their wings, sun bathe, dust bathe, forage for seeds and bugs in every corner of the yard to keep exercising and doing things chickens love to do.

Last edited:

Chickens are a new hobby for our family. We have 16, 4 barred rocks, 4 columbian rocks, 4 light brahma, and 4 RIR. We started building the coop 2 1/2 weeks ago and were able to move the hens in this weekend. The frame is made of 2 old 15' trampolines. So far, we love raising chickens and cant wait for them to start laying eggs :)

Nicely done! Wish mine would like a swing instead of getting scared by it.

Chickens are a new hobby for our family. We have 16, 4 barred rocks, 4 columbian rocks, 4 light brahma, and 4 RIR. We started building the coop 2 1/2 weeks ago and were able to move the hens in this weekend. The frame is made of 2 old 15' trampolines. So far, we love raising chickens and cant wait for them to start laying eggs :)

Nicely done! Wish mine would like a swing instead of getting scared by it.

Oh! Please try to replace the chicken wire on your coop. A dog or raccoon can push through it. It keeps chickens in but keeps nothing out. Look for welded wire fence, it lasts longer and holds up to dogs etc. Chicken wire will rust and fall apart in about a year.

Latestarer I can understand. It sounds like my technology experience as well. I remember having a class on the "New" internet with webpages I 1998. Long before google existed.

I think I am going to build a 8x10 coop so I can just make it the way I want and function I am just going to see what this person I am talking to that builds custom coops I told them a budget and size and they said they can see what they can do so I will see. And let u know what I choose to do and I will start a coop process thing under the coops section and I will provide a link with info and pics of the coop there

Latestarer I can understand. It sounds like my technology experience as well. I remember having a class on the "New" internet with webpages I 1998. Long before google existed.
HeeHee! My DH had the first Tandy and Commodore 64 and another one before those! I don't think there was even home internet connection yet in those days?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x4-Basics-...409234b&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=400999609025

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lawn-Outdoo...0b419a977be305e7d16c33&pid=100508&rk=1&rkt=1&

Let me know what u think of these two the one u can buy two of the framing kits and go and make a larger shed and e other one I haven't even found the size of it but I think it said 8x7 let me know what u think about them I personal like them both but I want what ever one is bigger and functions best for me.
I'm not a DIY person and though the Barn Coop style is cute and looks like more headroom, the Gable style looks a bit less involved connecting the joints. What do you think? We considered these DIY coops also and it looked like a nifty idea but we aren't builder savvy or have the proper tools. I think good coops are expensive whether you buy ready-to-assemble custom-built (like we did for $2000 delivered) or you spend $$$ on quality materials plus the time you spend building (time is money also if you calculate minimum wage by the hour and the $$$ spent in needed tools, paint, lumber, nails, screws, nestboxes, hardwire for an added run, perches, feeders, etc etc). On the other hand if you are builder savvy and have the tools and money for materials to finish it, either style will be your choice.

Back
Top Bottom