smile.png

@FreshPow Glad you stopped in very nice looking coop there
I would like to
welcome-byc.gif
you will find a plethora of education through these pages
and even giggles there are also many state threads.. may I ask what breed of
chickens you have feel free to post photo's

I need to expand my coop, any ideas!
Cache or no cache, I really don't want to wade through 3 pages of the same pictures with a comment of "nice (whatever)" as the reply. I agree with LS. Keep 1 or 2 pictures MAX so people know what you are referring to. I've already seen all the originals thank you very much.

I don't think I will need 6 nesting buckets, so I think I will turn 2 buckets space(4-5s.f.) into a "brooder section" since that's what I will need first anyway.

How does a heating pad inside a cutout 5 gallon bucket sound? I will be installing an outlet and a light fixture with switch. I will run a cord to the tractor as needed for light, heating pad, maybe a baby monitor, or maybe a radio to keep predators guessing.

Should I give the chicks access to the entire coop during brooding? 30 s.f. (I don't have any chickens yet.) I am making a locking trap door to lock the chickens into the coop at night and it will keep them from falling down to the run at ground level.

Less than ideal
wink.png
Have you been to the Mama Heating Pad thread? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update
A "mooshable" frame made of wire fencing is preferable for its flexibility as the chicks grow. If you want to do something with a flat surface (ala the expensive Ecoglow brooders), you will need to design it with some way to raise it. Chicks don't stay small very long and you want the heating pad at a height the chicks can snuggle up to it with their backs.

Finally got the roof and nest boxes on. In the second picture I am taking it from a window just like the one in pic. The little chicken door in last pic has hardware cloth over because we always left the big people door open so they never used it, now it adds to the 24/7 ventilation

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom