Post Your Chocolates, Dun ,Khaki , Platinum Bird Pics

Pics
Weak lines are exactly what I would call this breeder. these are welp hatchery chicks. He's SUPPOSED to be a black millie. Should be interesting to see how he grows out. he looks like a blue merle Queensland Healer!
haha
lau.gif
welp.... you got a blue for sure

well said smooth mule.
this is one reason I dont like people calling dun "chocolate".
We dont call lavender "blue" maybe self blue to avoid the mixing up of terms when talking about 2 different sets of genes.
All this dun /chocolate stuff gets so many people mixed up. I wish for the sake of repeats like this everyone would just call chocolate chocolate and dun dun or khaki depending on the dosage level. Would save so much confusion in the long run I think and so simple to do, not like it takes some act of God to call them by the right name genetically speaking. This is why the APA and ABA should to some extent take genetics in to consideration when naming a variety, though they wont....

I just gotta chime in here and say that I'm totally loving this thread. I've limited experience in color breeding, in dogs, which I'd mastered at the time. But this goes beyond that and not only a refresher but a lot to learn!! If I can find the time I'm gonna read thru all the posts, but for now just reading and re-reading the current ones. Thanks so much to all of you, with knowledge of these genetics, for sharing it!!

Last edited:
Ok so if my birds parents are chocolate cock over dun recessive hens what are my birds capable of producing?

if you have a Choc(Recessive sex linked chocolate) Rooster and mate it to a Dun Chocolate hen(dominant Dun I`D/i+)

this is what they will look..

50% of the males will look Dun chocolate(Dun I^D) choc and Dun chocolate can look identical(most of the time) they will carry the recessive sex linked choc gene hidden.

50% of the males will look Black. but will carry the recessive sex linked gene choc hidden..

50% of the hens will be Chocolate colored
50% of the hens will look beige..! whats beige? its when chocolate and Dun are expressed on the same birds..

from the Beige Silkie project

if you have a Choc(Recessive sex linked chocolate) Rooster and mate it to a Dun Chocolate hen(dominant Dun I`D/i+)

this is what they will look..

50% of the males will look Dun chocolate(Dun I^D) choc and Dun chocolate can look identical(most of the time) they will carry the recessive sex linked choc gene hidden.

50% of the males will look Black. but will carry the recessive sex linked gene choc hidden..

50% of the hens will be Chocolate colored
50% of the hens will look beige..! whats beige? its when chocolate and Dun are expressed on the same birds..

from the Beige Silkie project

I always love seeing your beige's. This is what I would expect from 2 dilutes together, never darker than either the chocolate or the dun. Same as the double diluted colors on equines. I have champagnes and bred to a cream dilute, the foals with both the champagne and the cream gene will be nearly white. Blue plus chocolate or blue plus dun will be lighter than either parent as well. I'm finally putting together a large fowl dun project for my Araucana's alongside my recessive chocolates and plan to cross the two once I have a good flock of each with good type.

My choc/dun orps, project birds. Father was a chocolate hen was dun/choc. They are darker than I hoped but I think the F2's will be chocolate and dun with a possibility of khaki and another more rare color that evades me at the moment
Are you saying chocolate dun? or recessive chocolate plus dun for the hen?

Back
Top Bottom