Post Your Chocolates, Dun ,Khaki , Platinum Bird Pics

Pics
beige (or mokka as I wanted to call it) is not built in the calculator yet. I have dun epistatic over chocolate, but this could be reversed easily. The lighter shade of brown would still be in the range of what het dun (or sexl.choc) could look like.
I have not seen any animals that are confirmed sexlinked chocolate plus het dun.

This is the tail sheen on a het dun (fawn silver duckwing). Bigger: http://edelras.nl/Foto`s Gelderlandshow 2012/P1100936.JPG

He looks Dun to me. If he were to have both the Dun and the Chocolate gene he would be "doubly diluted" and appear beige, like those Silkie crosses posted a few pages ago.

Get some nice big round English birds (Black or Blue) to breed him to and improve the type. You can then work from there to proliferate the Dun gene in your line.

I plan on doing this using Dun Sussex later this Spring. Maybe eventually we can swap eggs for genetic diversity?

He looks Dun to me. If he were to have both the Dun and the Chocolate gene he would be "doubly diluted" and appear beige, like those Silkie crosses posted a few pages ago.

Get some nice big round English birds (Black or Blue) to breed him to and improve the type. You can then work from there to proliferate the Dun gene in your line.

I plan on doing this using Dun Sussex later this Spring. Maybe eventually we can swap eggs for genetic diversity?
Thanks, would black be better than blue or does it matter? The dun/sussex sounds interesting. I have a pair of black english over sussex matings F1's that I am messing with also.

Last edited:
Thanks, would black be better than blue or does it matter? The dun/sussex sounds interesting. I have a pair of black english over sussex matings F1's that I am messing with also.

You can use either Black or Blue, it really doesn't make much of a difference. The goal is to correct type, at least that would be my goal first. If you do end up using Blue hens depending on the genetic roll of the dice you could end up with Platinum colored birds. Platinum happens with a bird gets a "dose" of both the Blue and the Dun gene, another "double dilution".

This is a Platinum Sumatra rooster, you'd probably get something similar using Blue Orps.

The color looks like a steely blue/vibrant hued lavender to me, with Dun expressing itself in the bird's pyle zones.

You can use either Black or Blue, it really doesn't make much of a difference. The goal is to correct type, at least that would be my goal first. If you do end up using Blue hens depending on the genetic roll of the dice you could end up with Platinum colored birds. Platinum happens with a bird gets a "dose" of both the Blue and the Dun gene, another "double dilution".

This is a Platinum Sumatra rooster, you'd probably get something similar using Blue Orps.

The color looks like a steely blue/vibrant hued lavender to me, with Dun expressing itself in the bird's pyle zones.
That color would be Ok. i would like to improve these birds.

Jeremy,
since no one answered but you are commenting on I believe my sizzles, do you think mine are double diluted making them beige? should I expect more beige babies and can I some how make a darker brown color with these?

Back
Top Bottom