Post Your Chocolates, Dun ,Khaki , Platinum Bird Pics

Pics
This is a poor photo of a young Serama cockerel I sold this summer, but I wanted to share what the chocolate (recessive chocolate) tail will generally look like. They are not black and there is no green sheen, it's more of a glow.

they are not mine. somebody named Rignalda. but these pics are like 3 years old, we need new info on the baige silkies
Definitely, I hope to develop this color in my LF Araucana's. I don't plan to bring the dun gene into the Serama's. At this point, I have not seen any evidence that there are duns in the Serama breed, only recessive chocolate. Not saying they don't exist but I have not seen it and if there were dun Serama's, I'm pretty sure there would be breeders showing them off.

So many times, I think, there are genes that are put together in a way that they appear to be chocolate or dun but it's relatively simple to figure out (by breeding) if they are or not.

Are you saying chocolate dun? or recessive chocolate plus dun for the hen?
Resessive chocolate plus dun I think.
These guys are from a mating of a chocolate cockeral over dun hens. They hatched black and turned a very dark brown at about 6 months. The older they get the more brown they become. The upper body is very dark and the lower body is getting lighter brown similar to blue marked birds. The cocks were a dark brown over the entire body and the hens were dun but a dark dun. Of the 3 hens I have 2 have almost a lacing of dark brown with lighter brown the other is more or less all very dark like the cock.

I am really not sure what breeding plan to use other than get some chicks from them and see what colors I get. Supposedly I can get dun, chocolate colour, khaki, porcelian and apparently now beige.

ETA: the tail feathers actually have a sheen that is more purplish with some green but the underside of the tailfeathers are brownish not black when compared side by side to my black JG's tailfeathers.

Last edited:
Resessive chocolate plus dun I think.
These guys are from a mating of a chocolate cockeral over dun hens. They hatched black and turned a very dark brown at about 6 months. The older they get the more brown they become. The upper body is very dark and the lower body is getting lighter brown similar to blue marked birds. The cocks were a dark brown over the entire body and the hens were dun but a dark dun. Of the 3 hens I have 2 have almost a lacing of dark brown with lighter brown the other is more or less all very dark like the cock.

I am really not sure what breeding plan to use other than get some chicks from them and see what colors I get. Supposedly I can get dun, chocolate colour, khaki, porcelian and apparently now beige.

ETA: the tail feathers actually have a sheen that is more purplish with some green but the underside of the tailfeathers are brownish not black when compared side by side to my black JG's tailfeathers.

I think you'll find what you really have when you breed. They do not fit for a dun plus recessive chocolate should be. They will double dilute and that is what the beige is, dun plus recessive chocolate.
The chicken color calculator for a recessive chocolate rooster over a dun based chocolate hen should give you ( copied and pasted the results)
Are you certain they are not black? fawn/dun is a light color as is khaki. Here is the calculator I used...you can click on the color and simply choose from a phenotype. It's interesting that the beige is supposed to be a recessive chocolate crossed to a dun chocolate but this is the calculated colors. Definitely post photo's of your chicks in down color and as they mature. I'd love to see how they produce, tail feathers that have a purplish to green sheen say black to me but I don't have a lot of experience with dun so they may all be dun. It would make sense, other than the black looking tail. If the chocolate sire didn't produce any chocolates but the hen gave all the chicks a dun gene, they are all dun chocolate. If they are black, and even with them "appearing" more brown they may be genetically black, then if the sire was really recessive chocolate, then half of the cockerels will carry chocolate. To me breeding will tell you a lot, do you have photo's of the parents of your guys?

The calculator seems to me to be missing some. It clearly has an option for chocolate and one for dun based chocolate. There should be a percentage for the recessive chocolates too. Seems to me some chicks would be black, some only recessive chocolate, some only dun chocolate and some both chocolates.

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm

25% Pullets, fawn/dun unicolor*E
12.5% Pullets, khaki unicolor*E
12.5% Pullets, black unicolor*E
25% Cockerels, fawn/dun unicolor*E
12.5% Cockerels, khaki unicolor*E
12.5% Cockerels, black unicolor*E

Last edited:
I always love seeing your beige's. This is what I would expect from 2 dilutes together, never darker than either the chocolate or the dun. Same as the double diluted colors on equines. I have champagnes and bred to a cream dilute, the foals with both the champagne and the cream gene will be nearly white. Blue plus chocolate or blue plus dun will be lighter than either parent as well. I'm finally putting together a large fowl dun project for my Araucana's alongside my recessive chocolates and plan to cross the two once I have a good flock of each with good type.
I have champagne tennessee walkers!

I have champagne tennessee walkers!
Awesome! My champagnes were part of the study at the University of Kentucky, where they discovered the location of the gene and created the test for it. Two of my champagne appaloosa ponies, my champagne foxtrotter mare and my champagne mule were used in the study. I also have a reg Half Arabian Pony that is sable champagne

can some one help me on this. I have a paint silkie roo with lots of light brown (which i hear is common in paints) I have crossed him with 2 splash sizzles (silkie/ cochin cross, 2 generations back) these hens are blue with the occasional black feather and produced blue and splash chicks and these all light brown chicks/birds with no spots. I only get this color when I use this roo over splash, no other color. I am getting ready to breed one of these all tan roos with 2 of the tan girls,
what can I expect for color, should it be all tan?? this is one of the girls- roo is the same color.

this is mom, the splash

and this is dad( he has spots under his wings)

wow, someone really likes champagne (the color)
Awesome! My champagnes were part of the study at the University of Kentucky, where they discovered the location of the gene and created the test for it. Two of my champagne appaloosa ponies, my champagne foxtrotter mare and my champagne mule were used in the study. I also have a reg Half Arabian Pony that is sable champagne

I think you'll find what you really have when you breed. They do not fit for a dun plus recessive chocolate should be. They will double dilute and that is what the beige is, dun plus recessive chocolate.
The chicken color calculator for a recessive chocolate rooster over a dun based chocolate hen should give you ( copied and pasted the results)
Are you certain they are not black? fawn/dun is a light color as is khaki. Here is the calculator I used...you can click on the color and simply choose from a phenotype. It's interesting that the beige is supposed to be a recessive chocolate crossed to a dun chocolate but this is the calculated colors. Definitely post photo's of your chicks in down color and as they mature. I'd love to see how they produce, tail feathers that have a purplish to green sheen say black to me but I don't have a lot of experience with dun so they may all be dun. It would make sense, other than the black looking tail. If the chocolate sire didn't produce any chocolates but the hen gave all the chicks a dun gene, they are all dun chocolate. If they are black, and even with them "appearing" more brown they may be genetically black, then if the sire was really recessive chocolate, then half of the cockerels will carry chocolate. To me breeding will tell you a lot, do you have photo's of the parents of your guys?

The calculator seems to me to be missing some. It clearly has an option for chocolate and one for dun based chocolate. There should be a percentage for the recessive chocolates too. Seems to me some chicks would be black, some only recessive chocolate, some only dun chocolate and some both chocolates.

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm

25% Pullets, fawn/dun unicolor*E
12.5% Pullets, khaki unicolor*E
12.5% Pullets, black unicolor*E
25% Cockerels, fawn/dun unicolor*E
12.5% Cockerels, khaki unicolor*E
12.5% Cockerels, black unicolor*E
The breeding that my birds are from are in this thread from the author. There are numerous pictures of the hens and cocks that are the parents of mine. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/602150/dun-chocolate-orpington-babies-post-your-pics-here/20

Back
Top Bottom