Post Your Chocolates, Dun ,Khaki , Platinum Bird Pics

Is the Chocolate that Serama carry that is not Dun/Khaki a simple recessive? It seems to differ from Lavender/Self Blue in that it is sex link.

I read through the closed Coco Pop thread, but that ended in 2011. Any new developments?

Has anyone bred a "Chocolate" Serama to a black bird of another breed to test the color? I would think that would be a simple way to find out if the gene is chocolate or dun. I say another breed because it is my understanding that Serama are very mixed in their genetics and it is rare to have a "pure" colored bird.
I bred them for years (Chocolate Serama) and I can guarantee that as many colors as there are in Serama's.....there are No duns. The chocolate in the Serama breed is well known to be recessive/sex linked chocolate....the same as the Orpington and until chocolate Orps were imported, the Serama was the only breed in the US with the recessive chocolate gene. All other breeds at that time were dun if they were chocolate in appearance.

I raised several good solid chocolate hens but was never able to produce a good, clean rooster. The black's they have now would have been very nice to have for them but that was a few years back and I only have one Serama hen left, a pet and she's past breeding

Is the Chocolate that Serama carry that is not Dun/Khaki a simple recessive? It seems to differ from Lavender/Self Blue in that it is sex link.

I read through the closed Coco Pop thread, but that ended in 2011. Any new developments?

Has anyone bred a "Chocolate" Serama to a black bird of another breed to test the color? I would think that would be a simple way to find out if the gene is chocolate or dun. I say another breed because it is my understanding that Serama are very mixed in their genetics and it is rare to have a "pure" colored bird.

I started my Chocolate Silkie project with a Chocolate split Serama rooster and Black Silkie hens. It is the choc gene, not dun. All of my birds hatched all black or all chocolate except for some leakage in some and a few I hatch out have a few whitish feathers here in there, mainly just in their crests. I never got any different colors with them.

I've been told different answers when I ask what color my bantam polish cockerel is. Two possible mothers are (all white crested) dark dun and one is medium blue. The father is WC black.

upload_2018-9-19_19-57-52.png

Back
Top Bottom