Post Your Chocolates, Dun ,Khaki , Platinum Bird Pics

Pics
could very well be that the black line is good and clean and the blues have a touch in them.
The obvious leakage you mentioned is yes usually yellowish to orange in blue and can be anywhere. The rusty look is just a very faint mild leakage and usually only in the hackles and saddles.

It really doesn't matter line wise and all, it can pop up pretty much any time. Black hides so much that it's hard to know 100% or not what all is under it. Now, this isn't a cull worthy leakage in my book, just a very faint deal that males some times get. If you see it in a hen though, no I wouldn't use her for breeding.

And try a full body pics if you can for us to get an over all look at the bird, that would help, this may just be the color of the bird and not leakage. But usually if you get the slightly rusty blue it is . If on a black like that, it can still be hard to see. Kinda comes out just a rusty tinge to them as well. and isn't a solid colored feather. Hope that all made sense?

edit to add

white birds often get a similar leakage in the in the hackle and wing bow area. It's a dirty yellowish tint to the white feathers. Still white, just looks dirty sort of

Last edited:
Do you have a wire dog crate? Or even a round pen from cage wire? Or a dog harness and leash?
lol.png

I've read on the SCNA forum that there has not been a single "proven" dun in Serama's and not a single "proven" recessive chocolate in OEGB's
I would want to breed the dun to black to confirm it's actually dun.
Just because someone hasn't actually gone the official route to "prove " a color to an organization, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, especially to an organization that doesn't have many colors approved for their birds. I seriously doubt there's no dun in seramas anymore and the OEGB's are just calling their dun's chocolate because it sounds nicer. They are not actually chocolate based birds.
Sorry, but I'm allergic to blanket statements. Nature does not read the rule books. And with all the colors of the seramas breeding them willy-nilly except for type, I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be a mutation or two cropping up that would go unnoticed because you don't expect colors to breed true in seramas anyway. Perhaps, when the few who are actually trying to breed true colors in seramas get their colors recognized, you might be able to make a blanket statement over color in a breed. Until then, this young breed has too many influences and too little regulation over color to make a blanket statement.

I fully understand what you are saying there. But I think you may have miss interpreted what smoothmule was saying. I may be way off, but
I believe they were just saying you would need to test breed it to see if it was dun or rec chocolate. I know for a fact Jerry has both dun and chocolate in his personal seramas, so recognized or not, it's certainly in them. Think the deal is, they are both virtually identical phenotype wise so a test breeding to a black base bird would be needed to see if it was one or the other.

Now on the old english thing, yes there are no chocolates that I am aware off. This is a pet peeve of mine. The oeg, and polish folks and several other breed groups seem to call everything chocolate or fawn to make it sound "prettier" Well when there is another color that is identical on the phenotype, it's always best to call it by it's genotype to avoid confusion. The end result is the very easy and readily available duns are getting the perks of the very rare and hard to find true chocolates. Just call 'em what they are and avoid all the mix ups.

Back
Top Bottom