Post Your Chocolates, Dun ,Khaki , Platinum Bird Pics

Pics
Looking forward to it!
pop.gif

IF there is a single "true black" feathers anywhere, they are not recessive chocolate. I don't think a dun chocolate can have black either. If they have either gene that turns black into a chocolate color, there can't be any black feathers. The genes that make chocolate can't differentiate between feathers, they dilute them all to chocolate. Can you be certain there is no other gene or genes that could be present?
Are you sure about the "few black feathers in the tail"? You would know for sure if they have a green or purplish sheen. If they do, you may need to be searching for another reason they are brown.

Maybe Henk can explain it better......
I have some true black JG's and when I compare this cock to them even his tail is not black but a dark, dark brown.

Black flecks in heterozygous dominant white are indeed quite common. But I have yet to see one dun (=heterozygous) or khaki bird with these black flecks. Wait, I recall one dutch dun hen that had a few black spots... so I guess not impossible, but also not common.

Black flecks in heterozygous dominant white are indeed quite common. But I have yet to see one dun (=heterozygous) or khaki bird with these black flecks. Wait, I recall one dutch dun hen that had a few black spots... so I guess not impossible, but also not common.
Thank you, Henk.

Here's what I got regarding the holes/spots in birds:
"Pied
Pied is a recessive mutation in which the birds lack pigment only in certain patches. A green pied bird will have blotches of yellow on its body. A blue or whiteface pied will have blotches of white. These areas do not produce dark pigments. Pied birds can look very attractive or very "dirty" or "messy" depending on how these areas are arranged. Birds that are carrying the gene for pied but not displaying it usually still have some identifying marks. Split for pieds may have one or two light colored toe nails, a spot on the back of the head or
one miscolored tail feather. However, keep in mind while looking for splits in rosellas and kakarikis that these birds normally have a lighter patch of feathers on their nape, though not always visible."

I imagine, that similiar to horses, by breeding these birds with oddball colored feathers the "holes" will get larger until the birds are paints? In Spotted Saddle Horses, continued breeding of spotted (sabino gene) to spotted will eventually get you a maximum sabino- an entire white horse. Sabino to Sabino does seem to "collect" white. My horse is considered a medicine hat spotted: that is, containing the last vestiges of color. Should I breed her to another sabino, the foal would most likely be white. She also carries an unidentified gene, similiar to the champagne gene, that causes the white hair to actually be colorless/clear, giving her a metallic shine. It's a rare gene and not fully studied.

These photos are because my horse is the absolute most beautiful horse in the world....

we are talking about recessive chocolate here henk... I know Heterozygous dun can be leaky. thats not new here(posted about it)

My friend Henk didnt add anything new to this topic, we all know Het Dun can be leaky too.
now you are comparing the Pied gene with recessive sex linked chocolate?

:D thinking the same thing here. Also comparisons to other species throws me off!

I went out today and took pictures that I will upload later. I had an accidental cross between a BBRed Cubalaya and a pumpkin hulsey. The chicks were all wheaten patterned with varying diluters between birds. Some came out pumpkin while one came out Dun Wheaten. First I thought blue, but you'll see the difference.

I agree that the heterozygous chocolates(dun) can show black though, just as blue can. But my genetic knowledge has not yet crept into recessive chocolate.

Back
Top Bottom