Post Your Chocolates, Dun ,Khaki , Platinum Bird Pics

Pics
My comment was based upon the plumage looking like it was badly in need of a molt.  I realize that dun is reasonably common.  I have duns; those just don't look dun to me.
I just assumed dun because all the church's of that crossing looked like my duns orps when the ones in the picture molted they feathered in about the same color but maybe a little darker. Actually bought about 250 18 month old australorp hens and there was two this color. Weird huh...

some nice pics of the "Chocolate" Cuckoo maran project.

compared to Dun Barred

I know self Chocolate based birds based on Dun can look the same as Choc based birds, but this takes breeding and selecting for it. I believe once the Dun Cuckoo or Dun Barring breeders start doing the same, one could have a nice chocolaty colored dun based cuckoo birds

People will interpret this as sexlinked chocolate being superior to dun (again) which is nonsense. Dun is a superb color.
while Dun can be made to look like Chocolate and make it indistinguishable from the "Real" chocolate gene. "Dun" is NOT chocolate and most of the time(when not breeding for it) will not look lke chocolate y will look "Dun". there are ways to make dun look like chocolate. but you wont get a chocolate colored bird the first time you try it. While Dun is in deed a superb color, "Chocolate" is well Chocolate right from the bat.

while Dun can be made to look like Chocolate and make it indistinguishable from the "Real" chocolate gene. "Dun" is NOT chocolate and most of the time(when not breeding for it) will not look lke chocolate y will look "Dun". there are ways to make dun look like chocolate. but you wont get a chocolate colored bird the first time you try it. While Dun is in deed a superb color, "Chocolate" is well Chocolate right from the bat.

I have had hundreds of duns. They were instant chocolate. I also have sexlinked chocolates. They are indistinguishable.

I have had hundreds of duns. They were instant chocolate. I also have sexlinked chocolates. They are indistinguishable.
sorry not all of them.. some look very slate dun color. Dun being an incompletely dominant gene is not as stable as the recessive choc gene.. so being in Heterozygous form will lead to different shades of Dun, one of them is Chocolate but not always.

this dutch boy looks nearly chocolate but not pure chocolate as the hen I posted. but you were not breeding for chocolate colored birds I know this.

Last edited:
Both forms of chocolate are hard to catch on camera. But all these het duns are brown to the eye. There is variation in darkness but not really in grayness, if any... ;)
Both forms I had as dark as almost black.

I believe duns who are silver are slightly more taupe in hue than are ones that are gold, but I do agree with Henk that they all look brown.

I have one dun silkie cock who his whole life (2+ years) he has been a rich milk-chocolate colour. After his recent molt, if I didn't know better I would have said he was a black. There is no mistaking him with that comb
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom