Post Your Chocolates, Dun ,Khaki , Platinum Bird Pics

Pics
Thanks! My plan was to find Chocolate white eggers so that I can start from a blank slate to get project Chocolate Ameraucanas (hence why I was hoping for some white egg layers). Does anyone know if someone is working on Choc Leghorns? I am willing to give that a shot to get what I want, although I have been working through the genetics and... do you think that if a male in the third generation (they will have egg color of either brown/brown, brown/white and white/white) would show characteristics of a white egg layer? Is that trait strongly linked to distinguishing characteristics (e. white ear lobes)?

smoothmule - Do you know of anyone who has Dun and Black Sumatras?
chickened - That was the only one that I could find, but only white crested chocolate. I don't want to take on another characteristic that I need to breed out if I can help it! (crest)

earlobe and egg color are only a coincedental package. There are exceptions and probably no genetic linkage like peacomb and bluegger.

I have chocolate lakenvelder that lay a tinted egg. But I am in Europe.

earlobe and egg color are only a coincedental package. There are exceptions and probably no genetic linkage like peacomb and bluegger.

I have chocolate lakenvelder that lay a tinted egg. But I am in Europe.

Thanks! A little too far
roll.png

I should add, do you think there would be any interest in Chocolate Leghorns?

Last edited:
Thanks! A little too far
roll.png

I should add, do you think there would be any interest in Chocolate Leghorns?
there was a Craze on Europe because some people were importing "Chocolate" Leghorns from the U.S.A

but this "Chocolate Leghorns" were infact Dark Brown Leghorns which are based on the eb brown e allele and have very strong red enhancers...

this is how females look

this is how the Males look

Caitlin,
What are you calling true chocolate? There are Dun chocolates and Recessive/Sex Linked chocolates. The Polish and the Sumatra's have the Dun type chocolate, which requires black to keep the chocolate color. The only Recessive Chocolates in the US are in Serama (not going to work for you) and Orpingtons. The Chocolate Orpingtons were generally all bantams that were imported into the US but I have 2 large fowl hens that are chocolate, they lay blue tinted eggs that are nearly white now and are a Chocolate Orpington/Ameraucana cross. I'm sure there are a lot of breeders working to bring the chocolate into many other breeds but most have bantams to work with.
Here are my hens, they're good sized hens and laying now. They're in my black Araucana pen.

Last edited:
So not true chocolates... I wonder if anyone is working on them? I was going to outcross whites to a true chocolate colored breed.
no they are not true chocolates, but they created a Craze in the UK...

I dont know if there is a project or not, but if I would start one I would look for similar sized birds to start with,

you should start with recessive chocolate gene if you can but if you cant use a Dun based chocolate bird. like chocolate OEG

smoothmule - My plan was to start with some (hopefully) larger bantam Choc orps, and go from there. My ultimate goal is Choc Ams that lay a perfect blue egg.

Last edited:
Also true for sexlinked chocolates. They are solid black underneath as well.
You can also breed dun to dun.
all I want to know how to get a "Chocolaty" color Dun Based bird like the Dun based chocolate polish in this pic.

I'll get the chance to test this myself, as I believe I was able to obtain what I believe is a dun based barred cockerel, I'll mate him to a production red hen hoping for a s+/s+ B/b+(or b/b) Mh/mh+ Co/co+ I^D/i+ male.

Back
Top Bottom