Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have oyster shell available free choice and they have been eating it. They are still on the young side for point of lay, not quite 5 months old yet. I think it's just because things aren't really coordinated enough yet. At least they managed a yolk, whites, and a very thin shell; it's a pretty decent first attempt, in my opinion.

We are grandparents!! Weighing in at a whopping 56 grams at 0930 on Tuesday, June 9th we had our first egg!!! Now we just wait for the others to catch up! So eggcited

This is from our RIR ... now waiting on the EE's to get busy! :)

Here it is!! Our first egg, from a 20 week old New Hampshire (our best guess), a 20 week old Light Brahma (perhaps), or our 18 week old partridge Cochin (unlikely).

We are going to have a TINY little breakfast tomorrow to celebrate our $300 egg.

Our first eggs from our 3 gold sex-links around 20 weeks old kids were extatic!

Pumpkin's first egg:

Apparently there was a heck of a lot of squaking for such a small egg!

Congrats!!!

Question on your wood bedding,
Is that cedar shavings? I thought cedar shavings are not advisable for chickens? Just checking since I've had read contrasting opinions.

Congrats!!!

Question on your wood bedding,
Is that cedar shavings? I thought cedar shavings are not advisable for chickens? Just checking since I've had read contrasting opinions.

Also cutious about the shavings? I use shavings for all my animals the dogs goats chickens etc... why dont pepke yse shavings? Only reason ive heard personally not to use it is because it sticks to the eggs?

Also cutious about the shavings? I use shavings for all my animals the dogs goats chickens etc... why dont pepke yse shavings? Only reason ive heard personally not to use it is because it sticks to the eggs?

The issue raised above is that the shavings in question are cedar - not that they are shavings. The concern with cedar shavings are oils in cedar that can have the potential of negative respiratory impacts for poultry. Many folks do use it and say they see no negative effects, I don't see any advantages that would make it worth taking the chance with my birds.
I *do*, though, use pine shavings as part of the DLM in my coop and as a base layer in my nest boxes. I have hay over top of the shavings in the nests, but there are plenty of times the hay is moved around to make a nice nest and this exposes the shavings layer - never had an issue with sticking as the shavings brush right off once the egg is dry.

I did not know any better. If they prove to be problematic I will switch to pine.
Only the nesting box has cedar shavings, which we bought at the farm supply on the advice of one of the workers. Otherwise, everything else is construction sand. Except for the protracted squawking by all three chickens lasting over five minutes , all is good. I just hope the neighbors do not complain!

Last edited:
I did not know any better. If they prove to be problematic I will switch to pine.

As with all things related to keeping poultry, there is a range of opinions on the matter - the best thing to do is to do your own reading and then decide for yourself what is right for you and your flock. The biggest risk is in relation to use of them in brooders as this is generally a time when very young birds are in a fairly close space -- the size of the chicks puts them in closer range of the bedding than an adult bird and the close space of a brooder over the more ventilated space of a coop means the aromatics involved are more concentrated. As noted in my previous post, folks do use them - and those that do seem happy with their choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom