Post your Pop Door (and lock) pics

I am planning start cutting holes in our new coop in the next couple of days, so great timing on this.

For a coop that is easy to enter, is there any reason I should try to make a remote (aka pulley system) for the door? I plan to access the coop through a "people door" to gather eggs any way. I think I am going to put pop doors on three sides as we use an electrified/portable chicken fence (no hawks around here - yet). That way we can have three different run options - trample/eat grass on one side then move it to another.

Here is a pic of our new coop. We are still working on the trim, dutch door etc but I am kinda proud of it. It will eventually match my horse barn - red with white trim. It is a three generation project: my dad, me/dh, and our sons.

If you have any other ideas let me know! I don't want to mess it up.

7713_img_0083.jpg

30644_img_0152.jpg

I used a 12" A/C register used to hold in a filter. I just framed the right dimensions, and the register screws into the side. I like it because it latches shut to be completely predator proof, and it also provides ventilation. Plus it cost a dollar at a thrift store. Mine looks a bit wonky because my white leghorn likes to roost on it.

We used an extra large pet door ... got the idea from an earlier poster ... works well for us so far .. and in the winter we can close it with the included sliding door.

25641_6-15_000_0012.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of my set-up. The unpainted wood above the door is a stop-block. The unpainted wood above that is holding the pulley. The string exits at a 90 degree angle to the outside. Works great.

Popdoorriginsideturned.jpg

Popdoorstring.jpg

Back
Top Bottom