Potential brain damage from hypothermia? Please help diagnose this Turkey!

Pics

Sundogz

Chirping
Apr 1, 2018
My bird Meatball is a 4-month-old heritage turkey hen. She's a good size and is very feisty, but this morning she fell off the coop and got stuck in near-freezing mud. We found her likely within two hours (I was not awake when it happened) kicking her legs in a pinwheel unable to get up. We brought her in (she wouldn't open her eyes but was breathing) and slowly warmed her up in warm water to get the mud off of her. We put her in a room with a fire and used a blow drier to dry her feathers, and she started to open her eyes after a couple hours.

She is now dry and has been drinking water out of a spoon, but she will not stand up and can't keep her balance, even when laying down. It has been 7 hours now since she was brought in, but she still won't stay awake for more than a minute or so at a time. She ate once, regular feed, but waved her head wildly side to side while she tried to swallow, as if she was insanely dizzy. She also has not pooped the entire time.

Should I just let her sleep more? I fear she's suffered brain damage as she can move her legs and wings but won't use them or her balance properly, but I don't know how to diagnose it. Our vet is closed today and we can't afford unnecessary visits.
Please help! What's wrong? How do I help her?

If she were mine i would start by placing her in a warm room, 80-85 degrees would be ideal, and watch for signs of overheating. Once warmed, I would tube feed warmed Pedialyte at the rate of 9 to 13 ml per pound of bodyweight, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat of crop was clear or mostly cleared.

If you want to learn how to tube I can teach you.

She will not drink on her own - we opened her beak and dribbled water in for her. She has not eaten since the couple mouthfuls at noon today. She's eating Turkey/Gamebird finisher feed from PoulinGrain.

Back
Top Bottom