Potentially Ill Muscovy- Unsure and Looking for Advice

Seraphim

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 18, 2017
Hello,

I currently have seven Muscovy Ducks (six female, one drake) from two different families that have lived together happily thus far. The drake and two females are three years old, and the other four girls are just over one. Though they do not share their sleeping quarters, they are pen mates with our four BCM chickens (three hens and one rooster) and they free range together on our property with no incidents.

One of the younger ducks, Junie. B, has been acting out of character. Usually the ducks and chickens graze together, at least in small groups. My daughter and I have noticed that she has been sitting by herself beside their pool, or under a tree for the past two-three days. We can't tell if she has been laying yet, as the ducks have taken to laying outside of their nest boxes which are in the coop and we have had to take their eggs and put them back inside due to predator issues.

She has clear eyes, no issues with her wings, and is walking and going to the bathroom as normal. She doesn't have mites, or missing feathers. I was worried she might be egg bound but we can't feel any eggs or bulges in her abdomen. Her vent seems fine. She is drinking and eating, though perhaps has slightly less of an appetite (not eating "treats" as she usually does, nor is she grazing). We have had one duck pass away months ago due to what we assumed was botulism, but Junie B. is acting very differently than Cocoa Puff did before she died.

We don't think that Junie B. has been picked on by the other birds in any sort of noticeable way. The only thing that we could think of is that perhaps the rooster mounted her and she somehow became stressed out from that. He has attempted it with some of the other ducks and usually the drake challenges him and that is enough to scare him off and the ducks don't seem to be any worse for wear- no injuries or feathers missing and he is on and off in seconds.

Any advice would be most appreciated and helpful. We are quite concerned about her. :(

My muscovy aren't always together and I often find one sitting somewhere by themselves, so that behavior in itself doesn't mean there's anything wrong with her. Is it hot where you are at? Could be she's avoiding the heat. My muscovy ducks walk around at night looking for bugs, and rest more during the day.

I heard giving some dye in the water can reflect in the egg. If true, you can give her a seperate drink here and there with a dye and see if you fine the result in an egg.

We had a similar situation where our duck was acting weird every now and then. Turns out her stomach was filled with rocks, and tiny metal slivers, and a metal disc the size of a nickel. Judging by the x-ray it's hard to imagine how she was even able to eat anything and keep it in there but she did, however she was always the one to walk a few steps then sit and eat or was always a little lazier than the others growing up. Maybe in the end it was just coincidence... idk but it's hard to gage what's wrong without symptoms or a vet.

Thanks for the replies!
Our birds do go under the trees during the warmest part of the afternoon, but though they sometimes hang out in smaller groups, they are always together so it comes across to us as very unusual for Junie B. to not only be completely isolated, but also to not be grazing or even moving very much (just sitting). It is about 22C here at the hottest point of the day, and they all have access to lots of shade and a pool. We can try the dye method for sure and see if something comes from that.

I am thinking my girl may be suffering from the same thing. She has many of the symptoms of "Hardware Disease"; the lethargy, refusing food but still drinking, just sitting on her own etc...
Was your duck able to be treated?

Back
Top Bottom