Poult color for black winged bronze

Never mind, I did a bit more research and found that there are two genetically different turkey called Black Wing Bronze.

In one corner we have Porter's description of Black Winged Bronze that breed true. In the other corner we have a Black Winged Bronze, that produces black winged bronze, penciled sweetgrass and penciled black winged bronze. I think Porter's site calls these Tiger Bronze.

I'm actually thrilled because the Tiger Bronze is my favorite on Porter's web site. So whatever they are called these should be beautiful birds.

By the way, these are also tough birds. The eggs spent a week in the hands of the USPS, being out for delivery in a town about two hours from my house, then spending the weekend in transit before making it too me. Not to mention the boxed was smushed. Eight hatched. I think I started with maybe 14 eggs.

On the third hand, a black-winged bronze may carry recessive gray genes and recessive narragansett genes, and when bred to another similar black-winged bronze, could produce Royal Palms. (The sweetgrass comes from getting two gray genes with a black-winged base color).

On the third hand, a black-winged bronze may carry recessive gray genes and recessive narragansett genes, and when bred to another similar black-winged bronze, could produce Royal Palms. (The sweetgrass comes from getting two gray genes with a black-winged base color).

Ahh, might that explain why two of the yellow poults don't seem to have even a hint of a stripe down their backs? And the one yellow poult with a faint stripe down its back may turn out as a sweetgrass?

Back
Top Bottom