Poultry Lice

KerryM

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
I am kind of new to this but I started with chicks last year and had a dog get into our coop and kill a large number of birds. I then picked up 6 other adult birds from someone thinning their flock and not knowing didn't check his birds..they looked good. Now I found poultry lice...I also had ivermectin and gave them a couple drops of that and the majority of the creepies are gone but there are still some little creepie crawlies detected...I have been reading other posts about "dusting" and having to wear masks when doing it..how can that be safe for us or the chickens? BUT I do want to get rid of the creepies because my husband would like to get meat birds this spring and I have some new chicks I would like to add to the pen soon...how do I get them off the birds and clean the coop so this doesn't continue to be a vicious cycle I guess is what I need to find out...please HELP!!!!

Thank you! That was helpful...I actually did contact a vet that was knowledgable in poultry and got a spray for the birds and premesis so I will get the little buggers off my birds, now I just have to wait for the weather to warm up.

Back
Top Bottom