pound of feed to finish a dual purpose rooster

stew1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 8, 2014
Just wondering if any one had a good idea on the average pounds of feed it takes to feed out a dp roo? I know there are a lot of variables just wanted a idea of how many pounds. Don't need to get into too much detail just wanted some one with some experienced opinions. Thanks stew

Ok it seams like 5 to 1 is about the average for dp birds. So if I want a 8 pound bird its going to take about 40 pounds of feed. The last batch of feed I ground cost me 100 bucks for a ton. So I should be able to get 50 roos to 8 pounds at 2 bucks a bird. I hatch my own eggs so my cost per chick is little to nothing. The only reason this is possible is because I don't pay for corn, oats, or the distillers I add to it. I have access to a hammer mill for free also. The corn I collected from farmers lil piles left every where and the oats are probably 15 years old that my dad doesn't want anymore. So if I dint miss anything I can raise a dp to butcher weight for what it would cost me to just buy Cornish xs. And not to mention my death loss is none, now I have 0 experience with the Cornish but sounds like a 10 percent is normal? This is just my angle on the deal and wanted some opinions, thanks

Back
Top Bottom