Powercut on Day 18

So left for work and left the chick in the incubator to fluff up. Checked back just there and no others have pipped and all the water at the bottom was dried up. Put more water in and took out the fluffed up chick. Has the humidity dropped too much for the others do you think? Should I try candle them?

Woke up this morning and I have 1 that's started zipping and is chirping away but the beak looks like it's doing a eating motion so I've read she's still absorbing the egg yolk. Then I have 3 more that have pipped. Fingers crossed I have 4 beautiful chicks when I get home from work today. They are just slowed than any other hatch I've ever done.
That's great! Slightly lower temperatures throughout incubation can cause later hatches sometimes.

How is the chick now? Yes I would finish the zip for this chick if it was the same one as earlier.
So I did help it out. It is sleeping alot now. Moving a bit but hasn't stood up or anything. Is it too weak now or is that normal for an assisted hatch? But another problem is there were others that pipped in the incubator and I'm worried opening it will affect their hatch now as well.

This was the chick in the egg.

Attachments

• IMG_20230329_180410.jpg
    IMG_20230329_180410.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 4
Ok he may just need time with not being able to finish the zip. He could also have development issues with not being able to finish hatching. For me time will tell and you have done all you can. Difficult hatches can just be worn out and tired.

Try not to worry about your eggs. I open mine with pips to remove fluffed up chicks when it’s full with no ill affects.
Thank you. Got it out to double check and it was wide awake and little legs going strong. He just can't get his neck straightened. I had that before and was told to put it in a sock with the bottom cut out and put him in a little bowl. It worked last time so I've tried that this time but I'll see in a few hours.
Not sure what will happen with the others they have pipped but not zipped yet. This has been the most complicated hatch for me

Is this chick stuck in his egg? I took him out to check if he was alive because I think he's been trying to hatch for a while. Put a small amount of water around the membrane to help. He was moving a good bit in the egg trying to open it. Couldnt see the beak

Back
Top Bottom