Powercut on Day 18

Apr 4, 2020
So I have been hatching eggs in an incubator in school. I was told by the caretaker on Friday that the power would be going out at the weekend. I had just put the eggs into lockdown Day 18 that day but I had to unplug the incubator and take them home so they wouldn't be affected by the powercut. The incubator was wrapped in a winter coat and transported for about 20mins in my car with heat on full blast. I plugged it in as soon as I got home and the temp was about 31.5 instead of 37.5. Will this drop in temperature make a difference to my hatch? Will they still hatch or has this damaged them? Today is Day 20 and I'm waiting to see if any pip but all is quiet so far.

So I have been hatching eggs in an incubator in school. I was told by the caretaker on Friday that the power would be going out at the weekend. I had just put the eggs into lockdown Day 18 that day but I had to unplug the incubator and take them home so they wouldn't be affected by the powercut. The incubator was wrapped in a winter coat and transported for about 20mins in my car with heat on full blast. I plugged it in as soon as I got home and the temp was about 31.5 instead of 37.5. Will this drop in temperature make a difference to my hatch? Will they still hatch or has this damaged them? Today is Day 20 and I'm waiting to see if any pip but all is quiet so far.
I'd say that it will be fine. A slight temp drop this far along in incubation is very unlikely to make a difference. When I incubate eggs, the temp drops frequently and it's fine. Also, hens get up from the nest every day to eat, drink and exercise. Small temperature drops (especially only down to 31.5 C) aren't that dangerous - eggs take a while to cool down in the center, it's more temperature rises you have to be careful with. Good luck with the hatch - they're probably just taking their time. Did you candle before going into lockdown?

I'd say that it will be fine. A slight temp drop this far along in incubation is very unlikely to make a difference. When I incubate eggs, the temp drops frequently and it's fine. Also, hens get up from the nest every day to eat, drink and exercise. Small temperature drops (especially only down to 31.5 C) aren't that dangerous - eggs take a while to cool down in the center, it's more temperature rises you have to be careful with. Good luck with the hatch - they're probably just taking their time. Did you candle before going into lockdown?
Yes candled them before putting them in lockdown 8 chicks looked like they were moving inside so hopefully I'll have 8 chicks. I have to bring them back into school but I would be best waiting until they have all hatched wouldn't I? Hopefully this evening I'll have a little movement in them.

Yes! My first little blondie hatched during the night! Just found her this morning. I think I counted the days wrong. I didn't counted Day 1 as 0 so I think today is only Day 21. Hoping she'll wake up the others she's loud enough

Attachments

• IMG_20230328_071113.jpg
    IMG_20230328_071113.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 4
So left for work and left the chick in the incubator to fluff up. Checked back just there and no others have pipped and all the water at the bottom was dried up. Put more water in and took out the fluffed up chick. Has the humidity dropped too much for the others do you think? Should I try candle them?

Back
Top Bottom